Hood hinge spring is sprung.

-

damnimcooltom

Too Cool For School
Reaction score
I have a hood hinge that has a sping that is no longer hooked on the peg, so there is no "springiness" to the hinge anymore. Has anyone experienced this, and have a sweet trick for twisting the spring back around and hooking it on the peg without losing an eye?

Thanks.

I've heard that you can go in from the access panel on the underside of the fender and reach up, but I haven't done it myself.

Yup, remove the splash guard and you can access it from there. I had mine pop off, not once but twice, and with a small set of vice grips and some finagling I was able to get it on there. You will have to rotate the spring around and then hook it over the pin.

CAUTION, wear some leather gloves it hurts if it slips and smacks your fingers. I broke out the welder after the second time and threw a spot tack on the end of the pin where the spring slides over to give it a catch point if it tries to walk off again. So far so good, it has stayed in place.

If all else fails pull the fender. It will go on if you are persistent though.

Ah, I didn't mention that I have the hinge off. I clamped it in my vise last night, and started to pull it around, but I didn't feel very safe. I'm by no means light, and I don't know if I was going to weigh enough to move the coil far enough to slide over that pin.

Well it should be a piece of cake then, just make sure you have your grips on tight and walk it around and slide it over the pin.

We are talking about an A body hinge spring, correct?

Do it with the hinge in the open position.

Take the spring on your bench and stretch it out to the length needed to just get it on the hinge hooks. Then stick a bunch of washers or other spacers between the spring coils, alternating sides as you go. These will hold the spring out at the length you need it. Remove the tension and install the spring and then move the hood to stretch it slightly so the washers fall out..

-
Back