Hood hinges and alignment

-

Crazy68Dart

Reaction score
I might need to just play with this some more but wanted to get some advice.

'68 Dart, factory hinges with low tension hood springs for the AAR glass bolt on hood.

The pass side hinge wants to rub the fender when in the open position. Also, the hood is favoring the driver's side leaving a large gap along the pass side fender.

How far should the hinges be pushed onto the pins? It seems like the bottom wants to push outward, which I guess makes sense due to the spring pressure. I have a lot of room to push the bottom in more towards the body. Should I push both hinges (and push nuts) in tight against the body the whole way onto the pins?

Been too long, cannot remember how it was when it came apart.

When the car was painted the lines were perfect, but the springs were not yet installed on the hinges.

Thanks guys.

I am having the same problem. The hood wants to favor the driver side. I have a tight gap on driver side and a wide gap on pass side. I have the AAR 6pack hood with light duty springs. With the hood closed The driver hinge sits parallel with the fender the pass side hinge actually goes inward toward the engine compartment when in the closed position. I tried disconnecting the spring on one side I tried shims in between the driver side hinge and hood didn't work then I tried shims in between the hinge and the cowl panel on the pass side with no difference.. Anyone run into this problem before with some advise?

My barracuda was always this way since 1985 no matter what I tried.

Opted for rebuilt hinges from SMS.

I had got a very good set of used ones recently but they still were giving issues. The pieces from SMS solved the issue. They also have the lighter springs for the fiberglass hoods.

-
Back