Hood & Hood Hinges..

-

plumkrazee70

Reaction score
So here is my dilema...

I have a 1970 Dart Swinger, which had a glass take off hood when I got it (no hinges).

I got a steel hood from a 1972 Dart and a set of hinges from another Dart not sure what year though, but they look like the ones pictured.

My fear is that I got the wrong hinge/hood combination. I have read that some dart years had the adjustment in the hood itself (sliding block where bolts go) and the other years adjust at the hinge. I don't appear to have any adjustment at my hinges, because they are just round holes. And I can't tell if the sliding block is in my hood or not. I put the two bolts in but was unable to move it side to side.

The worst part of all this is I just painted the hinges and the underside of the hood. I don't want to put the hinges on etc, if they are the wrong ones. Can someone with a 72 dart confirm how their hood adjusts and maybe a picture of the hinges?

If I have to I guess I will sell the hinges I have and buy a set here.

Hood Hinges.jpg

Those hinges appear to be the same as the ones on my 67 Barracuda. The hood attachment points have sliding blocks inside the brace for hood adjustment.
The hinges in the photo do not appear to be correct as the springs are not attached to the pins on the short rods and need to be wound tight and hooked to
the pins to operate properly. They could probably be corrected but may not be the ones for your car, I only know about the 67 Barracuda. In fact, I just installed
my hinges and hood last week so it is pretty fresh in my mind.
Good Luck with it-------------------------------------------------------DR--------------:)

Those hinges appear to be the same as the ones on my 67 Barracuda. The hood attachment points have sliding blocks inside the brace for hood adjustment.
The hinges in the photo do not appear to be correct as the springs are not attached to the pins on the short rods and need to be wound tight and hooked to
the pins to operate properly. They could probably be corrected but may not be the ones for your car, I only know about the 67 Barracuda. In fact, I just installed
my hinges and hood last week so it is pretty fresh in my mind.
Good Luck with it-------------------------------------------------------DR--------------:)

Thank you. That pic is one I got off the internet. Mainly to show the mounting holes. Was the sliding block obvious when the hood was off?

This is off my 71 Demon. The hinges you posted are 71 and earlier. Somewhere about 72 they slotted the hinges for adjustment. The nut plates float front to back.

IMG_0095.JPG

all 67-76 A bodies use the same hinges and those are what you posted a pic of. The ones in the pic have issues though. The spring should be tight against the stationary stud that allows the spring to be under pressure.

all 67-76 A bodies use the same hinges and those are what you posted a pic of. The ones in the pic have issues though. The spring should be tight against the stationary stud that allows the spring to be under pressure.

This is not true (all hinges the same). There are two mounting configs at the hinge. One for use with the sliding block in the hood and the other which are slotted holes for use with the stationary holes in hood. The pic before was for demo purposes only and was off the internet. I have stationary holes in my hood and hinges that are used for the sliding block.

There are pics of both configs here. The brown ones are the ones used with stationary holes. The purple ones (MINE) are used with a hood with a sliding block.

I think I can just elongate the holes in my hinges though.

s-l225.jpg

IMG_20161030_170450567.jpg

IMG_20161030_170512998.jpg

I am going to bolt the hood on and see how close it is and just elongate my holes. I already have these painted and bolted on.

What year is that hood? 73 and later? I don't remember seeing that style in any of the A body cars I've parted out
I don`t know what years fit what, but I`ve got a set off a 68 form S barracuda if it`ll help.----bob

What year is that hood? 73 and later? I don't remember seeing that style in any of the A body cars I've parted out

It is off a 72, I believe. 73 would be a beak car, and this hood looks identical to a 70-72 dart hood minus the emblem in the front (there is none)

I don`t know what years fit what, but I`ve got a set off a 68 form S barracuda if it`ll help.----bob

Thanks, but I believe that will be the same as I got. Iam going to bolt it up and see how it goes. I think i can just elongate my hinge holes for any needed adjustment.

-
Back