hood insulation ??

-

db's demon

Reaction score
would like to know if my 72 dodge dart demon 340 which came with the factory hood scoop would have came with hood insulation??anyone have original pic"s?? Thanks Darryl

Don't recall the '72 demon I bought new having any hood insulation. Reasonably sure it did not.Unsure if it could be bought as an option . I ordered mine pretty cheaply.
Yote

Don't recall the '72 demon I bought new having any hood insulation. Reasonably sure it did not.Unsure if it could be bought as an option . I ordered mine pretty cheaply.
Yote

I've owned about 5 Demons and I have never had one with hood insulation unless it was a flat hood. If the hoods had holes then the insulation would get wet and want to hang lower and stretch.
Location: New England- all the cars I owne(d)built in Hamtramck plants.

Good luck on your quest.
Joe

Can add your own if you really want to, either Fatmat, dynamat, just get some self adhesive roll on and go around the hood scoop. Can take a pic of my hood course mine is flat now but thinking of adding a scoop and just cutting a hole, if you want.

For me don't know haven't built the motor yet. The Fatman has asphalt in the adhesive, and says it can be used for hood insulation, so for me I'll see how well it does, but I believe the dynamat as well is a adhesive and not pined in place as the factory ones are, course look at those the heat makes the plastic brittle and break as well.

I just got smart and looked at my build sheet and it has code J55 which is under coating and hood insulation. Would they have just left it off of my hood
? I know that my car came with under coating for sure.

My question is "Why would you want hood insulation?"
Noise is a small concern, heat under the paint is another. All I see is a place for mice to find bedding if the car sits somewhere for a short ( or long)period of time.
It does however cover a lot of hard to paint areas under the hood and looks pretty with the hood open. The Dynamat or other asphalt based products I believe are based on the premise of the sheet metal is there to radiate most of the heat away and protects the mat product. So under the hood is like putting it on the wrong side of the sheet metal. I've used it a while ago and have not researched the newer versions of the products so my judgement may be off a bit. Its why we never put the stuff under the car especially around the exhaust.
Joe

-
Back