Hood Mount Stripped

-

gerahead

Glutton for Punishment
Reaction score
I was making great progress hanging the sheet metal on my 71 Dart in prep for final paint. Then it happened . . . . the driver side rear hood mounting plate stripped! Has anyone successfully repaired this issue with a threaded insert (a la helicoil)? At this point, I'm ready to cry! We were 15 minutes from being done and I had to check the hood fitment with the fender extensions installed and that's when it happened!:BangHead:
I'm thinking the only other option is to drill it out and tap it for a 3/8" bolt, but then I'd also have to hog out the adjustment slot in the hood. Everything on the inside of the engine compartment is already painted, so that is not an attractive option! Thanks in advance for any help!

Jim

There is a post or two about repairing the insert.

Do a search.

I tried that first, found nothing. Queries are all about the key words, striking out so far.

I currently have the same issue. I have a bad hood hinge also and plan on pulling the hinge soon and using one of these.

E-Z LOK EZ-310-5 Thread Repair Kit for Metal Carbon Steel Threaded Inserts 5/16-18 and Installation Tools Amazon product ASIN B07BXXCJ53

I've seen those used in wood, never thought to use one in metal. Thanks for the tip!

As luck would have it, AutoZone had the OEM Tools Fix It Thread kits (same as helicoil) on sale for over half off. Got it installed and plan to reinstall the hood tomorrow when my friend can give me a hand.
Word of warning to potential users of this kit. The version with the bright green coated installation tool has a collar with a set screw to set the depth of the insert into the work piece. The set screw requires an Allen wrench that appears to be a size that nobody in the world uses! I am pretty well equipped tool-wise and I could not find an Allen wrench that would fit the set screw and they do not include a wrench in the kit. The closest I could find was a 1mm, but it was a touch too small and a 1.5mm was too big! WTF? I installed the insert anyway without the collar in the correct position.

-
Back