Hood painted black

-

Buford19

Reaction score
Painted my hood hot rod black on my 67 barracuda. Just installed the hood and I have scratches appearing already very easily. What type of paint are people using when blacking out there hoods. Looking for a flat black paint that durable, if that’s possible .

Did you just put a flat paint on it or did you base coat and use a flat or matte clear coat? both are kinda high maint. But with a clear it will be more durable.

A durable finish comes from using an automotive grade paint with hardener.

Here’s a few photos of my hood, on the close up ones you can see scratches from finger nails. It was painted at a body shop, not sure of the process. He just called the paint hot rod black. There no clear coat over it.

73AF6A47-11E1-4E25-93C2-C5C037FFA249.jpeg

199E307D-459C-40AE-ADB7-E1CF8CE4B410.jpeg

C6208E68-0B11-4449-8705-2E38D936C95F.jpeg

E214BA9D-85CC-4C10-82B8-363E3DE16E5A.jpeg

I think vinyl wrap would be a good product for that application.
i'm planning to take my car to a wrap place after i get the scoop on to see what they think. wondering if they can do it as one piece, no parting line between the scoop and the hood

i'm planning to take my car to a wrap place after i get the scoop on to see what they think. wondering if they can do it as one piece, no parting line between the scoop and the hood
Thats gonna be tough one. The good ones do some cool stuff. I think it can be pulled off. My little experience says cut it.

Id wrap the hood and scoop separately. The difference would be hardly noticable if not look better by doing it separately.

My mind says it would look better separated. Cleaner lines. More industrial and I guarantee it will look better longer
Put a barrage of stainless button head alllen bolts holding it down on top of the wrap. YA.

Painted my hood hot rod black on my 67 barracuda. Just installed the hood and I have scratches appearing already very easily. What type of paint are people using when blacking out there hoods. Looking for a flat black paint that durable, if that’s possible .
I used this in the matte finish. Has held up great with no problems.
Hot Rod Black Car Paint 1.5 Quart Single Stage Urethane Kit - Buy Custom Paint For Your Automobile Or Motorcycle At Discount Prices!
870F2BAF-7754-4432-9492-693D85E060E1.jpeg

-
Back