Hood Pin Install

-

limegreen70

Pokorny Enterprise's
Reaction score
I want to put some hood pins on a 70 Swinger. I know the holes are already in the bottom side of the hood and the top of the fender, but i am a bit nervous about drilling in the hood. Any one have any tips? I was going to get a good step drill bit and go from there. Should the hood be perfectly aligned? Or do i have a little bit of play room to work with? The hood is pretty aligned on the car. Not perfect but pretty good id say.

Easy
Install the pin and the. Hole . You need to put the bolt under is tight.
After you pin is bolted put a little paint on it ( latex) and gently close the hood until the pin touch the inner portion of the hood.
Drill them a bit larger .

If you don't have latex paint put a masking tape on the pin ans any paint you have.!!

The trick is to install the pins first.
Put a small dab of paint on the top of the pins, and slowly set the hood on the pins.
Now you should have two dabs of paint on the bottom of your hood. The center of those dabs of paint is where you drill a tiny pilot hole from the bottom to the top. After that you drill from the top down with a step drill. Almost forgot, put a piece of blue painters tape over the hole you are drilling. This will stop the paint from chipping. Use some body color paint to paint the inside of the holes after they are drilled.The sheet metal screws for the trim piece is pretty easy. Mark the holes, and drill with the proper size bit. Don't go to big here with the bit, you want the screws to stay snug. I like to center punch all the holes with this automatic center punch. $4.00 Harbor Freight.
Good luck !

00621_W3.jpg

Proper Pin/Lanyard placement for a 70 Dart.
If I remember right, there is a dimple in the sheet metal, where the lanyard goes.

IMG_20191005_102636085_HDR.jpg

drill the hole from the top side down & put tape on the hood where your going to drill the hole

I'm about to install hood pins on my 67 Dart. Can I assume it's going to be the same as Johnny Dart's install?

Great post BTW, gives me the confidence to do it.

-
Back