hood pins? length and diameter?

-

mshred

The Green Manalishi
Reaction score
Hey guys, gotta order a set of hood pins and im wondering what size pins you guys are using?
I have the factory dimples and i have options for 3/8, 1/2, and 7/16 hood pins and id like to go with something stock sized...also i need to know how long the pins need to be for a stock hood (71 scamp)...is it 3, 4, or 5 inch?
the sooner the better because i have to order these pronto!

Thanks guys!
Matthew

unfortunatly that link doesnt give me the dimensions im looking for

i just need dimensions since i already have a place I am ordering from that has many choices...can anybody give me dimensions to what they used? maybe a link to the kit they used that has the dimensions?

thanks!

Those are as close to stock as you are going to get. You can adjust the height with the threads. The shafts are 1/2"

thank you homecloned! thats the info i need! perfect!

thank you homecloned! thats the info i need! perfect!

I was just thinking about this mshred. The shafts are about 4 inches long and have about 1 1/2 " of thread.

I still have to install my hood and drill and adjust them.

DSC00007 (Custom).JPG

DSC00008 (Custom).JPG

DSC00009 (Custom).JPG

Okay, it's Monday morning, and I just bought it now from Demonized...

I'll be the guinea pig. I'll check service, quality, whatever.

I've been wanting pins for my '70 Schvinger, and that seems like a great price.

Neilski

So Monday at sevenish, I bought it now. By 7:15 I had my paypal confirmation. At 11:38 AM, I had a tracking number.
Wednesday I got an email thanking me for my order, stating that it had shipped Tuesday, and again received my tracking number.
Here it is Thursday afternoon, and I have my parts. I'd call that pretty good service, and an excellent price.
If I'm looking for a gripe (which I'm not, and certainly have none whatsoever), there are no instructions included.
Okay brothers, help old Neilski out a little...

Do the 4 holes surrounding the hood pin hole get drilled at 12:00, 3 ,6 , and 9 ? Or do they get drilled at 1:30, 4:30, 7:30, and 10:30 ? (as I stand at my front bumper, looking down on to the hood ?
"Don't give me a lesson in Euclidian geometry. Just tell me what time it is on earth!" (from The Twilight Zone) Thanks in advance!!

Where to drill? Conveniently, there is a 1/8" hole all set for the cable screw, nothing to do but screw it in. And a nice big dimple for the hood pin. First a 1/8" pilot, next a 5/16", and finish with a 1/2" bit. A word of caution... IF YOU VALUE YOUR PAINT, PROTECT IT FROM HOT METAL CHIPS. Me ? No worries.
100_5958.jpg

When you drop the pin into the hole, it looks about like this.
100_5961.jpg

From the bottom... Like this. Way the heck up between the back of the headlight bucket bump, and the inner fender.
100_5960.jpg

You cannot get your fingers up there at all. So you will need to be creative. A Sparkomatic Mario Andretti shifter will be of no help, but a wobbly socket with the crush washer taped on, and a long extension should do the trick.
100_5959.jpg

You just need to get it threaded. Once on there, you can pull up on the pin to seat it against the bottom, and adjust the height.
Initially, I set the height so the top of the pin would just touch the bottom of the hood. If you look carefully at the pin in the photo above, you will see the tiniest dollop of red grease on the acme of the pin. Then I gently closed the the hood down onto the pins.
100_5962.jpg

Here you can see the grease spot on the bottom of the hood. Next, I lightly center punched, and drilled upwards with an 1/8" bit. Then down, with a 1/4" hole saw pilot, and finally with a 7'8" hole saw. Again, and especially now, HOT METAL CHIPS ON PAINT !!! Also be wary of HEAT bubbling your paint right off the hood.
100_5965.jpg

Once you have holes, you can raise the pins to their approximate height, tighten the nuts from the top to crush the lock washers. Use a center punch or small phillips driver to orient the pin hole front to back. Then close the hood to check for pin centered in the hole. I re-opened the hood, then slid a piece of conduit over the pin to tweak it to the center of the hole. Closed the hood for the last time, slid the caps on, and drilled one by one, starting the screw into the hole after each, so as to be satisfied with the location of each hole, using a 1/8" bit.
100_5966.jpg

For inspiration, I went to the Members Photo Gallery, Gallery List, Page 3.
Thanks to Showandgoresto for the pics of the 1970 Dart Swinger 340 in Panther Pink which confirmed the orientation of the cap screws.

Where to drill? Conveniently, there is a 1/8" hole all set for the cable screw, nothing to do but screw it in. And a nice big dimple for the hood pin. First a 1/8" pilot, next a 5/16", and finish with a 1/2" bit. A word of caution... IF YOU VALUE YOUR PAINT, PROTECT IT FROM HOT METAL CHIPS. Me ? No worries.
100_5958.jpg

When you drop the pin into the hole, it looks about like this.
100_5961.jpg

From the bottom... Like this. Way the heck up between the back of the headlight bucket bump, and the inner fender.
100_5960.jpg

You cannot get your fingers up there at all. So you will need to be creative. A Sparkomatic Mario Andretti shifter will be of no help, but a wobbly socket with the crush washer taped on, and a long extension should do the trick.
100_5959.jpg

You just need to get it threaded. Once on there, you can pull up on the pin to seat it against the bottom, and adjust the height.
Initially, I set the height so the top of the pin would just touch the bottom of the hood. If you look carefully at the pin in the photo above, you will see the tiniest dollop of red grease on the acme of the pin. Then I gently closed the the hood down onto the pins.
100_5962.jpg

Here you can see the grease spot on the bottom of the hood. Next, I lightly center punched, and drilled upwards with an 1/8" bit. Then down, with a 1/4" hole saw pilot, and finally with a 7'8" hole saw. Again, and especially now, HOT METAL CHIPS ON PAINT !!! Also be wary of HEAT bubbling your paint right off the hood.
100_5965.jpg

Once you have holes, you can raise the pins to their approximate height, tighten the nuts from the top to crush the lock washers. Use a center punch or small phillips driver to orient the pin hole front to back. Then close the hood to check for pin centered in the hole. I re-opened the hood, then slid a piece of conduit over the pin to tweak it to the center of the hole. Closed the hood for the last time, slid the caps on, and drilled one by one, starting the screw into the hole after each, so as to be satisfied with the location of each hole, using a 1/8" bit.
100_5966.jpg

For inspiration, I went to the Members Photo Gallery, Gallery List, Page 3.
Thanks to Showandgoresto for the pics of the 1970 Dart Swinger 340 in Panther Pink which confirmed the orientation of the cap screws.

Sweet writeup man! i will definatly be using this when i install mine! thanks for sharing!

Nice job! I was ready to run down to the basement and measure my hood pins for you but I see you've got it all figured out.

I love that Mario Andretti shifter. :-D

OK Guys,

Ive Been down this road before and still didnt get a straight answer.
Will these work on a 73 Duster , remember the hoods changed in 73 and the mounting hole are different, Bryce calls me today and tells me he has bought these off E-bay and wants to put them on soon. Has any body used these or similar on a 73 on up Duster if so can you post pics of where you mounted these

Thanks, Bob/ Bryce

Looks good. Those underneith nuts are a beeiaatch. I actually used a extension magnet to get the started. I still need to drill the hood.

Sorry I don't have that answer, Mr.7duster3... If you look in pic number 5, the hood structure has a hole in the frame where the pin is located. And in the first pic, the core support is dimpled and drilled. Never noticed on a '73. Hope this bump stirs up the experts.

-
Back