Hood question (69 Dart hood with factory scoop)

-

Woodys_Cuda

Ontario, Canada
Reaction score
I have a 69 Barracuda with what I believe to be a swapped hood from a Dart by the previous owner.

I'm looking for confirmation from Dart owners.

Also a question for Barracuda owners. My stock original sixpack and air cleaner will not clear with the flat original hood. Will yours clear?

car 2.jpg

Hood.jpg

67-69 Barracuda's shared a hood with 73-76 Dart's. That may well be a factory Dart hood and scoop, they were never opened up underneath like yours though.

That hood would fit on a 67-68 Barracuda but would never look right because of the "beak". Only the 69 Barracuda and said Darts had that style hood. Whoever cut the hole in your hood did a clean job.

That hood would fit on a 67-68 Barracuda but would never look right because of the "beak". Only the 69 Barracuda and said Darts had that style hood. Whoever cut the hole in your hood did a clean job.
Thanks for correcting me, I appreciate it. Being a Dart owner I'm not as well versed in the Barracuda's. I dislike spreading misinformation to folks. I learned something new today, I was actually unaware of the different hoods on the 67-68 Barracuda's! My apologies to the original poster.

Thanks for correcting me, I appreciate it. Being a Dart owner I'm not as well versed in the Barracuda's. I dislike spreading misinformation to folks. I learned something new today, I was actually unaware of the different hoods on the 67-68 Barracuda's! My apologies to the original poster.
No worries from me.

No worries from me.
I just (of course) went searching online doing front end comparisons between the 3 different years, wow! When you see all three side by side there is actually quite a difference. I can't believe I've never really noticed that before.

Also a question for Barracuda owners. My stock original sixpack and air cleaner will not clear with the flat original hood. Will yours clear?

View attachment 1715869172

View attachment 1715869173

My ‘67 Convertible with a 340 Six Pack, and my ‘68 Fastback with a 440 Six Pack both had/have their original hoods. K frame did not have spacers between it and the frame rails.

The air cleaner does not hit, but it’s close!

Mike

My ‘67 Convertible with a 340 Six Pack, and my ‘68 Fastback with a 440 Six Pack both had/have their original hoods. K frame did not have spacers between it and the frame rails.

The air cleaner does not hit, but it’s close!

Mike

Thanks Mike. I'm going to have a better look in the spring. If I look through the scoop I can see the air cleaner lid and filter? WTF?

The later Dart hoods have a crush zone in them that enables the front of the hood to fold under rather than being pushed straight back in the event of an accident. An original Barracuda hood doesn’t have the crush zone. Please take a picture of the bottom front corner of the hood, (an area about 12” square) and post it so we can verify which hood it is.

The later Dart hoods have a crush zone in them that enables the front of the hood to fold under rather than being pushed straight back in the event of an accident. An original Barracuda hood doesn’t have the crush zone. Please take a picture of the bottom front corner of the hood, (an area about 12” square) and post it so we can verify which hood it is.

Okay didn't know that but it will have to wait until the spring. The car is locked up and in storage. I don't have a garage anymore.

*EDIT*

From what I can remember there are no reinforced areas on the front of the hood.

Last edited:
Dart Sport hood that I purchased 12 years ago in Superstition, Az.
upload_2022-2-13_17-43-44.jpeg
upload_2022-2-13_17-44-47.jpeg
upload_2022-2-13_17-44-2.jpeg

Sorry for the delay. I have the car out of storage so needed to revisit this thread. The mystery remains on the cutout. My neighbours looked at it and said it looks like a factory cutout. This is a stock hood otherwise (no crush zone) for a 69 Barracuda. Also, my 70's original sixpack will not clear the hood without that cutout. It has stock motor mounts for the 340.
:wtf:

That hood scoop wasn't used until 1972, so, it can't be a factory cut out.

A really well done job, absolutely. But not factory. Heck, it's a nicer job than what the factory did. The factory just punched a couple of 4" holes, like this

img_20171227_122812-jpg.jpg

From @Mopar-Mitch

Also, and I'm no 6-pack expert, but I don't believe the '67-'69 Barracuda's came with a factory 6 pack option.

-
Back