Hood Scoop help

-

matthon

Reaction score
I got an old school scoop off a Duster, and an extra Barracuda hood cheap, with some rust/dents so I am not cutting up a good hood.

A few questions:
Should I mount the scoop to the top of the hood and cut a hole just big enough for the air cleaner?
OR, cut a hole big enough for the scoop to be inserted from below for a cleaner look?

Is there an easy inexpensive way to seal the carb to the scoop?
I checked around for Mopar and aftermarket set ups and they are not cheap, and I am handy, but I'm not sure on how to go about it.

I eventually want a tunnel ram with 2 fours, nothing crazy like dominator carbs or anything.

100_5799.jpg

51.jpg

I think it would probably be easier and less likely to screw up riveting it in and then fiberglassing it smooth on top. Then cut a hole for your air cleaner but make sure that you leave room for the hood to come up and back when the hood is opened.

I forgot to mention the scoop is plastic, (I know, do you believe it? The new ones are fiberglass but they don't look right- to me anyway), that is why I am considering mounting it from below.
The mounting edge is also cut off in the front, in the pic it looks like it is under the hood but its not.

What I am doing for mine is running two peices of string, one taping it to either side of the fenders and the other from the cowl to the grille, but they will intersect at the center of the carb bolt. Mark the tape where the string is then close the hood and put the string back on top of the hood and line up where the marks were on the tape. This will give you the center of the carb. The on a peice of cardboard trace out you air cleaner {pop a hole in the center as well} and go an inch bigger all around so the hood will close. This way you have enough room for your air cleaner and your not cutting out to much of the braces on the hood, DON'T WANT IT FLAPPING IN THE BREEZE...
AL

-
Back