hood scoop studs

-

wireweld

Reaction score
How does one go about fixing the studs on the hood scoops? These are the dual hood scoops on a dart. Also, where can you get the studs?

70dart said:
Year one carries a li as well as RPM I believe. What do you have to fix with the studs? Are the mounts stripped?
yes and some are cracked or broken.

They are on E-bay as well. Tom at RT specialties has them too.

You can use JB weld to fix the holes if stripped or fiberglass them and redrill. Happens quite a bit with those scoops.

Here is how I was instructed, This is cut and pasted from the original post way back.
Unless you have holes that have been torn out in chunks, there should be a "stripped" hole in the scoop. What I do for a proper fit and seat is to re-drill the hole one size larger (usually a 5/16 hole)........then I tap the new hole, and install new 5/16 studs.

Ace Hardware carries the correct studs, and they work great.

If you re-fill with glass (for a hole that is just plain shot and torn apart), I would recommend using "short strand" fiberglass filler....drill out the hole to a good bit oversize (at least 3 sizes larger X 16ths), and carefully!! ..Rough up the inside and outside of the hole using a 36 to 40 grit paper........blow out ALL of the dust particles..........Then, brush in a little bit of pure liquid resin (with hardener.......you can get a small repair kit of resin from your local parts store) to insure a good bond in all of the scratches...........next, work in your short strand filler with pressure (and a putty knife), pressing it into the repair over and over.....this will mold the new glass firmly and completely into the hole.

Let this cure for about a day to 2 days.......Then you can re-drill the size hole you need, and tap it for your studs. When you put the scoop on the car, do NOT overtighten the studs..........they should be SNUG, but not super tight.....use a lock washer or a nylon-insert lock nut.

Hope this helps somewhat, this is what I should be doing tomorrow if things go my way!

-
Back