hood scoop to air cleaner

-

homeboysduster

Reaction score
i'm wondering i know the demon's had the dual snorkel hood scoop. and i have bought one for my duster. but what i want to know is what kind of air cleaner did mopar use to make the scoop work? did the cleaner seal to the hood? was there any duct work?

Unfortunately, Mopar never set up the fresh air delivery on the A-bodies. You could probably set it up yourself with some help from members here.

The 71 Demons came with the 2 separate hood scoops and the 72's came with the dual snorkle.

i see!!! now does anyone have any good ideas on how to make this scoop a ram air set up?

I bought a new k&N air cleaner top that is actually a filter, it's not
the same as ram air, but it does let air in the top of the air cleaner.
Better than a closed off top!

If you could post some pictures of your scoop and and the motor and ect. I could give you a couple of idea's. I actually made one work on my old '74 Duster back in the day.

i have not installed the motor yet. in fact i have not even installed the dual snorkel hood scoop yet! mainly i don't want to cut the hood wrong! so i'm looking for ideas now befor the fact!

Oh man.....one of the Mopar magazines did an article on this very car! Now if I could only remember which mag/year it was.....I'll look around. They used a generic bottom air filter housing, but then bought a fiberglass replica air filter top for a Max Wedge car, thereby exposing the outside of the air filter itself. Then they just fabricated a piece of weatherstripping to go around the top edge of the main air filter housing. Then they measured and cut a hole in the hood, of course within the '72 style scoop. Hope this makes sense.

If you check out a 70/71 Abody 340 air cleaner, you will see that the 2 oval openings in the air cleaner were sorta half assed supposed to be in the general area of the 4" holes punched in the hood. Of course this applies to dual scoop 70/71 Dodges only. And the air cleaner openings were never sealed to the hood. To do this would require an arrangement like that found on a 68-72 GS Skylark.

i put the duster snorkal scoop on my 65 barracuda what i did was used a velocity stack type of air cleaner laid my hood down on the velocity stack and reached under and marked around the velocity stack a pattern under the hood and then cut a round hole in my hood that was just a tad bit larger the the velocity stack and the stack sticks up about a 1/2 inch above the hood and directly into the duster snorkal scoop making it ram air

001e051O8WC.jpg

003b051O8WC.jpg

cool fresh air you can feel the difference when when the mid range cam kicks in almost feels like nitro this scoop sits on a 1/2 thick foam gasket because there is no way to mold one of these to your hood and as you bolt it down you can adjust the height from scoop to hood evenly by squishing the gasket

-
Back