Hood tach

-

roey94

Reaction score
does anyone have or know of a place that sells a hood mounted tach similar to the Buick and Pontiac ones but without the Buick and Pontiac symbols engraved in it. I'm planning on putting this onto a 1970 duster.

Good luck. The dixco hood tachs for mopars were a hustle stuff catalog option in the 70's. They're hard to find and I'm not sure they are being repopped yet. I know the pontiac and buick ones are being reproduced and they have them all over ebay, maybe you could get one of those and take it apart and put a pentastar or mopar emblem/sticker over the GM logo.

Try the Tachman.com they sell a generic one for $225.00. No name or logo. Definetly look good!

you can try to find a dixco hood tach, i scored a n.o.s one in the spring for 100 bucks and put an amc logo on it

S5001744.jpg
[/IMG]

hmmmm me likey I think my car needs one can it go on your fender?

hmmmm me likey I think my car needs one can it go on your fender?

I think the Dixco will be a little too wide for an a-body fender if it has a dimple in the fender like a '70-72. Not sure if '73 and up has the same dimples that run along the top of the fenders and along the body

If you are looking for a Dixco styled one like racekilla's, they make alternate faceplates for them with a pentastar or a Mopar M on them, depending on your cup o tea.

Have you thought about cutting down one of those pods they have for dashboards and for A-pillars and making it into one using some fiberglass or alumiglass?

Well I have one coming to me from MFS Performance this week. If you want I can show you' all what it looks like after I get it and make sure it functions? I can lay it across the fender too....if ya want to see what it would look like....Mr. Mopardrt?

Well I have one coming to me from MFS Performance this week. If you want I can show you' all what it looks like after I get it and make sure it functions? I can lay it across the fender too....if ya want to see what it would look like....Mr. Mopardrt?
I'd love to see it as well!:cheers: I have only seen one in person and it looked too wide to me but I've always wanted to use a Dixco, and thanks for the info on the repop, that'd not bad really, especially compared to the real ones on fleecebay8)

I got the Tach, It's actually smaller in heigth then I thought. 2-1/8".....low profile.(I Like) I did get a template with it and I will have to cut a 4" dia. hole in the hood. The wiring harness is good it has a plug from the tach to the engine bay wiring they supply, no crimp ons or single spade type connectors. Hook-up is very easy and explained well in the instructions. As for fender mounting it is too wide. I went to "Fleecebay" and bought a a small plastic Pentastar to put on the outside of the lense, the tach has no logo. It starts the red-line at 5000 rpm. I haven't mounted it yet, but I'll show you some ideas I have, I put some tape down to keep it from sliding off the hood, good wax ya know. I have a shattered windshield so I can't get the look see thru the windshield, until after tuesday next week.. (long story on that incident... amazing what a 45. cal can do after passing thru one house, cross a street then thru a/my garage door, sorry I digress..) Here's some mock up pictures. I really want to put it even with the back of my scoop, my concern is after cutting the hole will I compromise the integrity of my hood...
Here ya go!

Couple more of tach, sorry they're kinda blurred. Showed the size with my iPhone for comparison...

I found this brochure in a owners manual packet I bought for my Duster.. Looks like ma-Mopar offered the Hood Tach as a dealer/factory option look at item number 30.. I did verify this is the 1973 brochure that was available.. How cool is that!

I was at a flea market of all places this past summer and a guy had one of these tachs BRAND NEW sitting on his table. He also had another cheap tach. I acted interested in both but didnt let on to him that this was a hard to get tach.

We talked for a few minutes and he told me that he bought it years ago and it had been sitting in his garage ever since and they were hard to find now. I bought it for 50 bucks!

A friend of mine has a 72 340 Duster that came with this tach and he had been looking for one. Imagine his surprise when I called him and told him I got him one for 50 bucks and I was bringing it to him. LOL

You never know what you will find out there!!

-
Back