Hood

-

Mopar2

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a flat black hood on my Duster, how can I clean it and keep it looking new. Everything that touchs it, leave marks.

Thanks Dan

The best thing you can do is repaint the hood. You need to use Organasol Paint from Year One. It is the original paint that came on the 1971 Duster. It has a slight texture to it that keeps it looking great! The paint is a little pricey but well worth it!!!

You could also repaint it with base/clear. In the clear coat you add a flattening agent and it will give is a semi gloss look. The more flattening agent you put in it, the flatter it is. This is a good idea because with any clear coat, it will have UV protection.

Justin
"CornDog"

:dontknow: Just my opinion, of course, but I guess that is what you were asking for - Since you will probably re-paint the hood anyway - I still think you would be happier with the Organasol Paint from Year One. When we first purchased our 1971 Duster, whoever painted it had used the Flat Black, and like you said, if you even looked at it, you had a white spot. We knew that the 71 Duster we bought in 1971 had a texture to the paint on the hood and so did some research to find out the difference. Organasol Paint has a slight texture that makes it look great, is easy to maintain, and is original to the car. Check it out! - - Like I said, just my opinion!

I agree with Duster... the Organasal paint from Year One is also a great choice. If you're going for an OEM correct look, it is the only way to go. I used it on a '69 GTX that I had with the black-out hood treatment. Either way will be much better and last longer than rattlecan flat black.

Justin
"CornDOg"

Unless you use a clear over it the flat paint is going to spot and stain. Organosol is also lacquer so watch what you spray it on. It cant go over Urethane or Enamel.

Sem makes a Hot Rod black that is a enamel made for muscle car black outs, It would probably be easier to keep clean but Base/Clear using a flat clear will be easiest to keep clean.

May be talk to you local PPG rep and see if the can mix some texture in to a black base and use the flat clear.

-
Back