Hooker to Magnum head problem! HELP PLEASE!

-

sharpie

workin' stiff
Reaction score
I just got my Hooker Comp headers yesterday and I think I have a serious problem - the flanges will only get 2-3 bolts lined up at the same time. I'm relatively sure it's not the head surface because I have a set of Dakota shorty headers that fit fine. The issue that I have before calling Summit and returning them, is that the shorty headers are for a Magnum engine, while the Hookers are for the LA-style heads. I was always told the exhaust patterns were the same, but never had it verified. Should I be sending these Hookers back?

I put LA headers on my magnum crate motor. I'm sure LA and Magnum heads are the same on the exhaust manifold bolt pattern

I have Spitfires that have been on my duster with 3 different sets of heads...#675's (70 318), #302's(89 318), and some mid 90's magnum heads. The bolt holes lined up perfectly on all of them. The exhaust pattern is the same. There must be something wierd with those hooker headers...you sure they aren't for W2 heads?

the bolt pattern should be the same.

another thing that i would watch out for is the header flange shape, it could potentially cut off some flow coming out of the head. when i was doing mock up with my R/T headed engine, i bought some cheap black jack headers and they were going to cut off flow because they were for LA heads with that dog-leg port. Magnum heads have eliminated that with basically rectangular ports.

hopefully this helps.

I have LA style Hedman headers bolted to magnum heads with no fitment issues. I would say there is a problem with the headers.

-
Back