Horn question

-

middleagecrisis

Reaction score
Trying to get my '75 Dart Sport ready for an inspection sticker. My car only had one horn and one wire (pigtail). The one I had wasn't working so I go to the local auto part store and they only have high & low tone horns. Now I've got a working horn, but it sounds pretty pathetic (a clown car comes to mid,lol). Is my Dart only supposed to have one horn or is a second horn hiding somewhere? The only horn/wire I could find was on the driver side radiator support and I've looked everywhere. Where do I get a single horn version, if that is what it's supposed to have?

Go back and get the other horn,weather its the low or the high to go with it and mount it beside the other horn and run a jumper wire from the first horn to the second and both will work and sound normal.mrmopartech

theres only ever one horn unless like mrmopartech said you or someone else can install a second aftermark one!

the one your car should have is located beside teh radiator on the pass side.

and the horn grounds to the car your horn bad acts like a switch, whenyou press it, it connects and puts the power thru.. :headbang:

i dont know how often you use your horn. obviously not enough to have missed it before but as long as it works.. well it works.. I personally just use sign language!

:thefinge: :finga:

Cerwin

I found the stock location (DS by the radiator). I'm space limited and don't know if I squeeze another one in that location. I was hoping someone could recommend somewhere were I could purchase a factory style horn. I don't use the horn much, but when I do, I want it to sound like a horn.

Every car I've ever owned had two horns, one high tone and one low tone. On my 72 Scamp they are located beside the radiator on the passenger side of the car. They are mounted back-to-back with a jumper wire from the first horn to the second one. They are on their own little bracket together. Horns rarely go bad, if you can find a set in a junkyard they shouldn't set you back much. I would just about bet that Mother Mopar used the same horn set on lots of cars. Good luck.

seems to me ive seen the dual horns as an option on some build sheets...A repro place (Paddock etc.) should be able to produce what you are looking for

My 68 Barracuda has dual horns. When they croaked I pulled a set (200Hz and 400Hz) from a mid 80's Mustang at the bone yard. They came on one bracket and had the same style connector as the harness. Since I had mounted an overflow bottle next to the radiator I moved the horns to the other side of the core support behind the grill.

middleagecrisis said:
Where do I get a single horn version, if that is what it's supposed to have?

JC Whitney has several different horns. You could give them a try.

-
Back