horse power VS 8 1/4 rear end

-

500duster

Reaction score
How much horsepower will a 8 1/4 rear take? I have an 8 1/4 rear in the car now and the car came with a new sure grip unit. I'm debating on whether to install the the sure grip along with lower gears or switch to 8 3/4 rear. The car has a 380 horse crate engine. I figure I can probably set up the 8 1/4 for $400 - $500 with new gears and bearings. I'm probably looking at twice that to gather parts and assemble a 8 3/4. I want to stay with the large bolt pattern axles.

A lot. I have a friend who used to run a mid 11 second Demon hangin the skinnies over a foot leavin the line. Had an 8 1/4. He never broke it. He only changed to an 8 3/4 because he upgraded the whole car lookin for 10s.

A lot. I have a friend who used to run a mid 11 second Demon hangin the skinnies over a foot leavin the line. Had an 8 1/4. He never broke it. He only changed to an 8 3/4 because he upgraded the whole car lookin for 10s.
That is the answer I was hoping for. I will more than likely never have slicks on the car so the 8 1/4 should last forever. Thanks

It will never last, Whats your address ? I'll come pick it up and get it out of your way.

That is the answer I was hoping for. I will more than likely never have slicks on the car so the 8 1/4 should last forever. Thanks

I'll second the answer. I have ten inch slicks and a 3500 converter. I've never even been concerned.

I'll second the answer. I have ten inch slicks and a 3500 converter. I've never even been concerned.

Karl, you post mainly in N&P so I didn't even know you had a car. I would like to see it if you have some pics.

I posted a pic there about a month and a half ago. Abodybomber asked me to. So I did. However. If I was to I would be one of the few who have bared it all for the cause in that forum. Maybe a small one that doesn't get too much into detail since were in the middle of things.

If you have ANY concerns about it's strength, the above comments not withstanding, consider the following:

In '97, the carriers in 8-1/4"s in Dakotas, trucks and Jeeps upgraded from the 27 spline Auburn 3 series to the 29 spline Trac Loc 3 series. Ie, parts are cheap and plentiful in the yards. Would just have to get new axles or find a set with enough meat on them that they can be cut and resplined.

Mike in FL

I have abused several in pick-ups with no issue.
Never broke one.

I have actually broke quite a few 8.75, mostly spider gears.

got one in a pickup thats broken ,its going to pick and pull thursday....ps it broke cause a lop nuetral dropped it at 5000 like a dipshit!

-
Back