Horsepower needed to run 10's

-

ramcharger

Dismember
Reaction score
Assuming everything else is set up right, on let's say a '67 Dart, how much horsepower would it take to run mid to low tens?

When I say set up right, I mean slicks, NHRA certified roll bar, racing seats but not a gutted interior, ladder bar or cal-trac rear suspension, auto trans with a trans brake and 4500 rpm stall converter, manual valve body, gearing selected for the engine, etc.

Thanks! :burnout:

At about 3200 lbs you would need about 550-575hp @ the rear tires to run those numbers.

Chuck

I say about 500@the rear tires,my duster has 430@the rear tires and runs 11.0's and weights 3136lbs...

I'm finding out that it's not just a matter of torque/horsepower that the motor is capable of........... It's where the power is available in the rpm range and whether the car is set up for it. If, the engine develops the horspower in the 66/6700 RPM range, then be prepared to have the motor in that rpm range throughout the race including through the traps. Forget streetability. At least any longer times; like 15 min. LOL

10.52 @ 126 Caltrac w split mono springs , 4.30 gear , 5500 ptc converter, shifting @ 6000 ,full interior less, heater box 3250 lbs.street legal .
dyno414.jpg
[/IMG]
000_0137-1.jpg
[/IMG]

10.52 @ 126 Caltrac w split mono springs , 4.30 gear , 5500 ptc converter, shifting @ 6000 ,full interior less, heater box 3250 lbs.street legal

7172:

As I recall, those dyno numbers are at the crankshaft, correct?

As I recall you had mentioned that you are using out the box Indy heads. Are you using the rectangle or the oval port Indy's?

Ok, may I ask a dumb question? What is the function of the girdle and does it remain in the engine like a windage tray? Thank you.

Ok, may I ask a dumb question? What is the function of the girdle and does it remain in the engine like a windage tray? Thank you.
Girdle stops main bearing harmonics, which tend to rattle the bearings ,and cause premature failure.
Scan0001.jpg
[/IMG]

Vic,

A main bearing girdle stays in the engine and strengthens the bottom end by positively locating the main studs to prevent cap walk. Cap walk can destroy main bearings and snap a crank. The girdle should be installed while the crank bore is hone aligned, although some would say that the just having the studs installed is sufficient.

The girdle does not really reduce windage at high rpm like a windage tray does, although it might help a tiny bit in that respect due to it's surface area. no real way to know for sure unless you test it on a dyno with a clear pan. I would just run a baffled, deep, drag racing 8 qt. pan and only use 6 qts. of oil to keep the oil as far away from the crank as possible.

Edit: Crap! 7172 beat me to it.

hey ramcharger, you forgot to mention our great altitude of 5800' at Bandimere! Makes it a little more challenging to put up the HP to say the least. Sounds like a fun project!

hey ramcharger, you forgot to mention our great altitude of 5800' at Bandimere! Makes it a little more challenging to put up the HP to say the least. Sounds like a fun project!

No joke dartman! Density altitude about 8500' on a really good day. I've seen it well above 9000' on bad day. Now you know why I posted the "nitrous with E-85" question here in the racers forum, LOL! :toothy7:

Thank you, that sounds like a great life saving part to look into. I would suspect that big blocks (say a 400) would need one also if built to high hp?

Big blocks and small blocks can both use girdles. IMHO, a small block would not need one until you're above 450 HP and a big block until 500 HP. They won't hurt performance and are not crazy expensive, but they they do add a bit of weight. Cheap insurance.

IIRC, 7172 had a crank break or crack on him. I do not believe he's had any trouble after replacing the crank (with another brand I think) and adding the girdle, but you might want contact him about that.

Do you really think that this thin piece of steel is going to save your bottom end. This was old technology from the '70 when top fuelers needed help from blowing up their bottom ends at 8500 rpms 90% + nitro. So a SS/ 360 launching at 4000rpms and shifting at 7200rpms doesn't use one. Hughes makes some interesting claims but remember there are also trying to make a buck. A Mopar or Milodon splayed main cap or Pro Gram two bolt main cap will take your stroker 360 to 7k w/o any cap walk. If you noticed most Mopars rerely need to exceed 6700rpms to go fast in any type of a bracket class.

-
Back