Hose and Hose Clamp Basics

-
I can just imagine how much more difficult the larger radiator hose Corbin clamps will be after the difficulty I had with these smaller clamps. I was pretty aggravated by the end because I nicked up the new paint on my engine.

I had more trouble with the smaller clamps, the radiator clamp went on very fast.

Any recommendations on the Corbin style clamps like the ones I used on the hose in the bottom of the picture? I had originally decided to use these on all my hoses until I realized how much they are a real pain in the @$$! And that is with the correct type wrench. My concern is ensuring that I have these clamps on far enough. They seem to be over the lip, but just behind it.

Yeah they are a pain to get on and off but they really are period correct especially on 1950's early 1960's Mopars. I swapped all my clamps on my 58 Imperial to this style and it looks so much better than the modern style clamps.

Springs eventually relax over time, so is there a recommended replacement time on the spring loaded clamps? I would think the screw clamps would be better for this reason since you can tighten them periodically, but I have been wrong before. :)

They've been on our 04 Ford Escape since it was build in 2003 and nothing has leaked yet. In fact, I haven't had to add the first DROP of coolant.

They've been on our 04 Ford Escape since it was build in 2003 and nothing has leaked yet. In fact, I haven't had to ad the first DROP of coolant.

Thats because the hose has sealed itself to the nipples. hahaha Just messing with you Rob! I've never rechecked the clamps after I've installed them.

Any recommendations on the Corbin style clamps like the ones I used on the hose in the bottom of the picture? I had originally decided to use these on all my hoses until I realized how much they are a real pain in the @$$! And that is with the correct type wrench. My concern is ensuring that I have these clamps on far enough. They seem to be over the lip, but just behind it.

Those are spring style and work well when installed properly.

The hardest part is installing them "straight" on the proper plane, so they are not cocked. But if installed correctly in the proper location behind the rib for the barb, they will work well.

Those are spring style and work well when installed properly.

The hardest part is installing them "straight" on the proper plane, so they are not cocked. But if installed correctly in the proper location behind the rib for the barb, they will work well.

I always took the pliers and tried to spread the ears apart after putting them on, never had a prolen w/ them.

-
Back