hose diameter PCV - Breather - Catch Can

-

lilredridinghoo

Reaction score
Hi,

maybe i´m starting a totally worthless discussion... but when searching the web and looking into engine bays of modern cars, i recon. that the hose diameter for PCV and/or Breather hoses or the plumbing for oil catch cans are vary from product to product...

this makes me thinink about: what is the minimum diameter e.g. when using an oil catch and having the PCV and Breather plugged to it.

btw... this should not be a discussion like "PCV needed or not.."

oil catch can?
i dont think we need those on a properly ventilated system (unless there are no baffles in your valve covers)

as for minimum size, i would just go with whatever diameter the PCV valve is

(i also would not plumb the breather into it, that would defeat the purpose of the breather)

The standard pcv hose for Mopars is 11/16". Most if not all auto parts stores don't carry 11/16" hose so they substitute with 3/8". We are currently using a pan evacuation system plumbed to the header with 3/8" hose and poppet valves . As far as pcv is concerned, it works fine on a low compression street motor . It works at idle and at cruise . FYI, the pas is worth about 20horsepower at wot and cost under $50.00. Just my .02c.

I added a water/oil trap in-line between the PCV valve and the intake last year while I was chasing a smoking exhaust at full throttle issue.

Turns out it was that I was using a Magnum one-piece oil pan gasket on an LA style oil pan. It left two gaps 1" gaps at the timing cover allowing oil to shoot out at full throttle.

Anyway, the catch can I used is a simple water/oil trap for a small compressor. The type with the clear jar and a small drain at the bottom. I added some hose barb style fillings and attached it to my battery. It does trap water during the winter months if I'm only driving the car short distances, so I left it on there after I fixed the oil pan gasket.

oil trap 2.JPG

oil trap.JPG

I used fuel injection hose for my pcv, because i would pull so much vacuum it would collapse, the fuel injection hosing was stiffer.

The standard pcv hose for Mopars is 11/16". Most if not all auto parts stores don't carry 11/16" hose so they substitute with 3/8". We are currently using a pan evacuation system plumbed to the header with 3/8" hose and poppet valves . As far as pcv is concerned, it works fine on a low compression street motor . It works at idle and at cruise . FYI, the pas is worth about 20horsepower at wot and cost under $50.00. Just my .02c.

Ask them for 11/32" power steering return hose instead. They should stock that. Your 11/16" is a typo.

It depends on how long the hose is. The bigger the better, especially with longer hose. On my catch can, I ran 10 AN hose from each cover to the can. 10 AN is a little over 1/2" inner diameter. But I'm running a turbo so I have to move a lot more crankcase pressure.

-
Back