Hotchkis rear sway bar install

-

Dohc Rocks

Reaction score
**UPDATE**

The core issue is that the end link brackets are designed to fit on a flat surface and the area they need to go is the forward area of the frame's over-axle arch. The two options are to forgo two of the welds as per the instructions or modify the frame rails so the brackets sit flat.

20230920_212850.jpg

20230920_212945.jpg

-------------------------------------------------

I'm in the process of installing a Hotchkis rear bar in my 70 Duster and could use a reference photo of where the brackets that weld to the frame rails are located. I have it all mocked up with the bar axle mounts level as well as the bar ends but the end links appear to be too short to achieve the proper geometry as in the install instructions.

If anyone has a photo of their installed bar, I'd really appreciate having a look to compare.

If it matters, I am running Mopar 2700lb super stock springs with Mancini Racing front mount brackets on the upper hole to offset the higher super stock spring ride height.

Last edited:
You need to set the brackets flat against the frame rail before you weld them. Your car appears to be missing a bunch of stuff (shocks, exhaust, drive shaft, fuel tank, etc...), which means it's light and is sitting higher than it will when it's fully assembled and at final ride height. With the springs compressed more you won't need longer end links. Pretty sure the instructions say you need to have the car at final ride height to do this properly, which means fully assembled too.

Regardless, put the brackets flat against the frame rails. Longer or shorter end links are part of fitting the bar to your car and its ride height. Don't modify the frame rails to use the out of the box end links, which might not end up being the perfect length for your particular suspension set up and ride height.

Just as @72bluNblu mentioned, you want the full weight of the car on the suspension when you place those brackets. This will get the placement correct for the end links. Otherwise, you may battle getting the links into the holes if you need to make a bar change.

-
Back