Hotchkis tvs, good or bad???

-

Torkmnstr

Reaction score
Hey all I am looking at putting this system on my 68. It seems pretty legit for a good overall system to start with and build off of. What do you guys think? Thanks.

Autoxcuda, a member on this site, runs/uses that setup on his Cuda. Might wanna ask him. That said there appears to be a problem with the rear springs but that's it. The problem people say is about the ride height.

The Hotchkis TVS is a great set up for handling. The only issues I have with it is that it doesn't include everything you need (no torsion bars, no shocks, etc) and it includes a few things that you really don't need (heim jointed UCA's, steering links).

For the price of the TVS, you can get components that will pretty much do everything the Hotchkis set up will do and take care of the "missing" parts...

1.06 (or bigger) Firm Feel torsion bars -------------$355
Tubular UCA’s (PST, FFI, etc)------------------------$350
Adjustable strut rods (PST SR 14385)---------------$279
Solid tie rod sleeves (PST SAS 440S)----------------$49
LCA boxing plate (PST LCAPLTMOP621)-------------$14.50
Greasable LCA pins (FFI w bushings)----------------$135

Helwig tubular front sway bar 1 1/8” #55905-------$175
Solid rear 3/4” #6907--------------------------------$237

Afco leaf springs
20231M (121 lb)---------------------------------------$320
OR
20231 (142 lb)-----------------------------------------$340

Energy suspension 1" shackle bushings 2-2117G----$9

Bilstein RCD shocks(RCD-70-56663)------------------$400

Grand total on that is about $2350, that's got a little extra built in depending on where you shop.

That's basically the entire set up that I run on my Duster. I didn't get all of those exact parts, my strut rods aren't from PST, I'm running Hotchkis Fox shocks, my UCA's are Magnumforce pieces I bought used, my torsion bars are 1.12", etc. But it will set you up with a great handling car. Don't get me wrong, the Hotchkis set up is VERY nice. They make quality parts. Probably a little lighter, definitely a little sexier. But, you'd still need torsion bars and shocks, and you might have ride height issues in the back (I run the 121 lb AFCO's). The other thing is that after running Hotchkis UCA's on my Challenger with heim joints, I wouldn't run them again on the street. Mine wore out after 7k miles. Hotchkis replaced them and provided boots, but after another 7-8k miles I'm starting to notice some extra clicking coming out of the front end again. The heims would be fine on a track car or even a weekend car, but for a frequent driver you're going to be replacing the heims more often than I'd care to. Bushings work just fine and last much longer.

The only things I'd add other than what I've got above are subframe connecters, 17/18 rims with modern tires (BIG handling difference), and a good modern alignment, say -.5* up to -1* camber, +3 to +5 caster (manual to power), and about 1/16" toe in.

Man thanks for all the awesome info 72!! What you put together is what I would run. I just want a solid runner that will handle some nice Bay Area back roads ya know.

-
Back