Hotwire a 318

-

Boduke

Reaction score
can someone tell me how to Hotwire a 318 so i can run it on a stand. . Its 73 so it has mopar orange box and 2 post balast. I rebuilt it in my garage and i dont want to put it in and risk scratching my freshly painted engine bay just to watch it self destruct. Its prob fine but i have it in a cradle and id like to fire it.
Thanks

Found it. Woof! Its a pita and a waste of wire. Almost easier to dunk the motor.

461F1800-5133-412D-AA6F-AE480944DF3F.jpeg

I have Points Distributors on hand for quick firing engines on the Run Stand.

Also have it set up with Mopar Electronic Ignition control panel, so you can just plug in the Mopar Electronic distributor.

Screenshot_20231106-155244_Gallery.jpg

☆☆☆☆☆

Pretty easy really, I used an HEI box and a single wire alternator.

100_1099.JPG

One of the above solutions are also great for hotwiring and stealing our classic mopars, because all you need is a battery, some jumpers, and access underhood, and then you can bypass all of the factory ignition wiring.

Which is why I'm reporting it, even though it is accurate and informative and not posted with ill intent.

Which is why I'm reporting it, even though it is accurate and informative and not posted with ill intent
Really?

The term hot wire has been around for decades. If a person does not know how to do it the internet can supply 1000 videos to show you how.

Really?

The term hot wire has been around for decades. If a person does not know how to do it the internet can supply 1000 videos to show you how.

You're right, that's a great reason to supply the information here, as well.

You're right, that's a great reason to supply the information here, as well.
your concern is real but i think your fears are a little unfounded. the guy asked, basically, for a simplified ignition system for a run stand.

it's not like people are posting up "under the dash on the left side, connect the red wire to the yellow wire with the blue tracer and then jump the starter relay with a screw driver" type instruction.

the information has already been disseminated. google "how to hotwire a car" 6.8 million hits, with number one being a GD wikihow article that starts off with punching out the ignition with a screwdriver.

but in case you wondered? "hot to hotwire a vintage mopar" returns a paltry 1.1 million hits with hits from FBBO and FABO dating back to at least 2014. so yeah.

-
Back