How about forward facing scoop vs rear facing

-

Guitar Jones

aka Angry Johnny
Reaction score
What are your thoughts and or have you tried the two different styles?

I'm wanting to put a spacer under my carb so I'm going to have to have some type of scoop as I only have 1/4" of hood clearance now. So I was wondering if anyone had the scoop (sorry) on the pros and cons.

On another forum I read that the Cowl low profile hood ( Chevy type) Is as efficient as a forward scoop. Looks good on Dusters IMO :)

-k

how can ya go wrong with forward facing ... dont have to worry about low pressure areas or air deflection ...you go forward air goes in ...want more air - go faster

Yeah I know about the forward facing scoops, I just never really cared for them. I need more carb clearance but still want to keep a low profile. A forward facing scoop just screams race car, whether it's true or not.

I'd go with a forward facing scoop unless the drag racing rules for your class say otherwise. I just can't handle seeing a Chevy scoop on a mopar.
How about one of these scoops? It sits lower than the 6 pac scoops, and is hardly noticable from the side view.

1972plymouthdusterhood.jpg

1972plymouthdusterside.jpg

Forward scoops are for Mopars Rear(cowl) scoops are for Chevys......... A cowl will sure make your Duster/Dart/Demon/Dart Sport look like a early Nova or later model(68-up)Nova.......ask me how I know.........:) and you will get a lot of....hey nice Nova with a Cowl scoop on.....that I also gurantee :).

I like the Hilborn style scoop like Outrageously Vintage has on the pink Dart. Of course to make it look right, it has to be on top a dual carb'd tunnel ram or blower.

:burnout:

GotDart said:
I like the Hilborn style scoop like Outrageously Vintage has on the pink Dart. Of course to make it look right, it has to be on top a dual carb'd tunnel ram or blower.

please dont say that i need dualcarbs to make i look good since i just found a nice looking tunnelram for just one carb, and bought it for a pretty good price.

still think that the sixpack scoop is the best looking one ever made..

318tunnelram.jpg2.jpg

Hmm, you know now you've got me thinking, tunnel ram and two 750's on that 440 cube small block.

Naw, it will be too fast, I'd have to run Super Pro and I don't want to do that, I like to foot brake race.

If you want the look then its Hemi all the way imo. But if you actually want it to be functional, a cowl is where its at.
Its been tested time and again and a cowl is just more efficient. Areodynamic wise its easy to see but it actually keeps under hood temps down better by venting hot air instead of forcing cold air in.

Ive got a pic on my other computer of a 71 swinger with a cowl that looks mean as hell. will post when i find it.

GotDart said:

I GOTTA vote for the hilborn...

normal_DSC02582.jpg

duster340 said:
please dont say that i need dualcarbs to make i look good
Okay, so a single carb setup would look good too. :D It's just that the dual cab will keep the scoop from spinning around backwards. lol :happy7:

-
Back