How about these cams ??

-

Reaction score
I'm getting a 416 built, ported eddies, rpm intake port matched, shooting for 10.5:1 ish compression, fast efi, 518, 3.91 gears. My builder called me yesterday to discuss cam choices
Street car that will see the track a few times a year but nothing serious.

Hydraulic roller

Lunati 20200713
@.50. 243/251
560/565
Lsa. 110/106

Comp xr292hr-10
@.50. 242/248
549/544
Lsa. 110/106

I'm curious in some opinions if there are better choices out there

Lunati, 416 cubes will eat up a lot of cam.

This will be interesting, these two cams are on my wish list.....use the XR286HR from comp at the moment and want to step up a little...

Please keep us updated!

Michael

Depending on intake /head airflow,my choice would be Lunati's newer grind.Both are good grinds,I just don't see a reason to do a solid roller can(maintenance, bronze gear not needed...)Just, my opine.

Depending on intake /head airflow,my choice would be Lunati's newer grind.Both are good grinds,I just don't see a reason to do a solid roller can(maintenance, bronze gear not needed...)Just, my opine.

both cams will probly be decent cams for that small a motor. (imo.) hughs has steel dist-oil pump drives that will work w/ a billet roller --jfyi

Both good cams.Was looking at them also. Went with a Comp custom a little bigger in my little 419.Have fun:finga:.

Your LSA is too wide.

Call a custom cam grinder and have one made instead of buying a one size fits all cam.

We don't all wear the same size drawers. Why would we all need the same cam?

Why not go solid roller?

I second this. I was having the same dilemma last year and ended up putting in a lunati solid roller. Best decision I ever made. Sounds pretty cool with solid roller too, can definitely tell whats in there.

Ive put about 4k miles on it with zero problems, monitored lash and it hasnt changed once. Itll last if you use good components.

I second this. I was having the same dilemma last year and ended up putting in a lunati solid roller. Best decision I ever made. Sounds pretty cool with solid roller too, can definitely tell whats in there.

Ive put about 4k miles on it with zero problems, monitored lash and it hasnt changed once. Itll last if you use good components.

Well, you basically asked and answered your own question, my car is a street car/ cruiser, I don't want to hear the cam/ valve train ( been there done that).Now having said that if there was substantial power gain I would sacrifice a quieter/ more durable cam and go solid.
What kind of torque increase would I see with a solid ?

I'm running a Lunati solid roller .640/.640 with MRL lifters and can't really say I can hear my valvetrain more than any other engine I've had. It's a non-issue. My lash is .013. Tight.

There is substantial power gain with solid over hydraulic. How much I couldn't tell ya. Some of the more knowledgeable guys here might know how much, but it IS substantial.

As far as durability? Solid wins out every time. It ain't rocket science figuring that out!

Seems like every guy I've known that runs hydraulics is either afraid to, or just doesn't know how to adjust valves. Certainly not pigeon-holing anyone, but it's been MY experience over a lot of years.

Ironmike, I agree, checking Valve lash very simple and also a non issue but the last solid I I had was a flat tappet and the sound was noticeable, I've never had a solid roller, I wonder if there's a difference in sound between the two? But once again, if there's a considerable torque gain I'm all over it. I'll try the ol search and see if I can get some comparisons

Ironmike, I agree, checking Valve lash very simple and also a non issue but the last solid I I had was a flat tappet and the sound was noticeable, I've never had a solid roller, I wonder if there's a difference in sound between the two? But once again, if there's a considerable torque gain I'm all over it. I'll try the ol search and see if I can get some comparisons

I ran a solid flat tappet before I went to a solid roller and I honestly don't THINK there's a sound difference. Pretty sure a lot of that is dependant on what your lash is. My engine seems pretty quiet to me.

My old solid flat tappet was spec'd out to be .020/.024, I ran them at .013......my new Lunati is spec'd at .016/.016. Lunati told me run it at .013.

A well known cam grinder told me if ya took 2 cams with identical lift, duration, and LSA......one a flat tappet, one a roller, the roller would give you at least 5 percent higher numbers across the board. At least...Don't know enough to believe it, but 5 percent is pretty substantial. For me that's like 28 free horsepower....well not free..we all know that deal.

Whatever ya do brutha...good luck with it, I'm sure it'll work out:cheers:

-
Back