How bad are these valve tips?

-

MopaR&D

Nerd Member
Reaction score
I removed the valves from one of the heads on my busted 360, they all seem to have visible wear but how bad are they actually? They are from a set of factory Magnum heads I assume were reconditioned when I got them, I put about 25k miles on them with a Lunati Voodoo hydraulic (fast ramps) and factory 1.6 Magnum rockers. I'd like to reuse them for a street engine if possible, the seats are good and so are the guides. The individual ones are the worst I picked out from the set. If I did use these again I would probably run a slower-ramp cam.

20170222_213053.jpg

20170222_213308.jpg

20170222_213430.jpg

Last edited:
They look good ,on radius....,(the last one on the right, against the wall... was that one of the hurt cylinder bores, Khalid?. I would check , valve stem straight ness on that one.... otherwise,valve stems look decent...What did you see upon disassembly, for valve guide seals?

That Lunati ramp isn't that fast. You need to mic the stems and see what they measure. If you wore the guides out that soon it's not the cams fault.

They look good ,on radius....,(the last one on the right, against the wall... was that one of the hurt cylinder bores, Khalid?. I would check , valve stem straight ness on that one.... otherwise,valve stems look decent...What did you see upon disassembly, for valve guide seals?

Tim, I went and took a quick look at them again it's the picture; they're sitting on a shelf that is very crooked, however I will still check them for straightness especially cyl #3 that was the one with the carnage. The valve guide seals are still like-new they are a green color and springs in them (positive umbrella type?) I will post a pic.

That Lunati ramp isn't that fast. You need to mic the stems and see what they measure. If you wore the guides out that soon it's not the cams fault.

From the way they felt when I removed the valves the guides were still fine and there was no uneven valve seat wear. I guess this is a good excuse for me to go buy a micrometer all I have are dial calipers. MP Magnum Engines book says stems not to exceed 0.051mm/0.002" of wear...

So I'm still wondering how do the valve stem tips have a "slope" worn into them like that? I thought the valves rotated as they opened and closed as long as the RPM was high enough and I used to wring this thing to 5000 RPM at least once every time I drove it.

No ratators, no spin ... now add 130/315 lbs springs, really no spin. If they spin...its because the springs are weak and bouncing...

Look for grooves cut into the spring pad/seats of the heads, thats a sign.

if reusing the valves, Mic the stems ...if good, grind faces...check margin for proper thickness, if good....grind stems flat and have at it.

-
Back