how bad is bad ?

-
Its fixable but it wont be the same car when your done. Its gonna require pretty much removing ever panel at the spot welds and replacing them one by one.

Bad is bad.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CscPTI8fwA&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PLF3C7CE00661A9BD9"]Huey Lewis And The News - Bad Is Bad - YouTube[/ame]

Something no one seems to have thought of is the expense/frustration/aggravation of tying up the time to actually find a "rust-free" car, making the deal, having it shipped or going after it yourself with a trailer; then taking it apart to transplant all the parts from your car. Not saying it's a bad idea, just that there are costs involved going that direction as well. On top of that is the question of whether or not you want to acquire the needed skills (welding/bodywork) that could put money back in your pocket at some point. Just my .02... Regardless, good luck with your project!

Hey there neighbor. There is allot of good advice here.

My 2 cents is, my 74 from Alaska has/had medium rust issues: Rusty 1/4's, drivers wheel well, trunk floor, front pans, top a pillars, both windshields. On one hand, it's fun to fix all this, the other, it seems like more work than its worth. You'll be handy with that welder in no time, doing body work is time consuming i'm close to half way done and I've put in 100's of hours. Don't worry about skill level. Your welder's heat setting is more important, since all you do is tack weld until your fingers turn blue anyway.

Now, it may be a number this, paper that car, the thing is unless this IS your dream car, and I mean keep it until your grey, these a bodies will never be worth the gusto to fix what you've got to fix. If you plan to sell it at any point in time and expect anything other than learning experience to come out of it, don't be disappointed. No one ever appreciates your car like you do, especially the more the time goes by getting into it.

You do live out west, and there are pretty good deals, with allot less work. On the other hand, all cars from that era are getting rusty. You will need to weld/fix rust at some point regardless of project.

The way I see this hobby/lifestyle is this: I give up some of my life, so my hot rod can have a second life. What other area of your life could you spend your time if you got a little easier car? If your not careful these mistresses can drive a stake in any relationship pretty quickly when your in the shop all the time, and be a total succubus.

Either way, I'd suggest:

Ask a few questions about yourself in relation to this project, map it out.: How long do I want it to go on? How much time will be fun/fulfilling vs. a chore? How will this pan out financially, new body vs. donor? There is more than a few dark horses in those answers, aim high shoot low...

Make a decisions based on your gut, and how far you can envision yourself getting into bed with it. Not your emotional attachment, it's just a car. Material things come and go, your time is a one way ticket.

Enough rambling, good luck.

With that much rust it's done. You're much better off finding a car from Arizona or California with no rust issues and then put time and money into it.

-
Back