how bad is bad ?

-
man, nice car, but that could get very expensive. i have walked away from less. even big block b bodies. if you are prepared to basically rebuild the car, and have the cash ,it CAN be fixed. if you have the skills and a complete rust free parts car, then i would say go for it. having it blasted first of course, would give you a better idea of exactly how bad it is, but it looks ugly from here. frame rails are one thing but the cowl and door jam areas would all have to be rebuilt and/or replaced. i would take everything usable off of it and find you a nicer foundation. people called me crazy for spending 3000 bucks on a 6 cylinder duster, but the body is 99% rust free and am enjoying building it the way i want to.
I am really having a hard time with this because i really want a 340Cuda but i am not a wealthy man . I was hoping FABO would help me decide what to do . Just so every one knows this is a BH29PB , i have #'s match 340 short block , no tranny or driveline , no Fender tag , no build sheet . Looking forward to all the advice i can get .

My car's strikers were fixed with couple pieces of steel

i have a feeling once you get the dash out, it is only going to get worse. personally, i would not even consider fixing all that rust, but thats just me. its just going to depend on how bad YOU want this particular car, and how much time/energy and money you want to throw at it.

I am really having a hard time with this because i really want a 340Cuda but i am not a wealthy man . I was hoping FABO would help me decide what to do . Just so every one knows this is a BH29PB , i have #'s match 340 short block , no tranny or driveline , no Fender tag , no build sheet . Looking forward to all the advice i can get .
What you want and what is reasonable are not always in mutual agreement....

sometimes rare/desirable and cool optioned cars just arent worth what it would take to fix them. if this was a BO29 car, or a BB car then ya, it may be worth it. and given that there is no trim tag or build sheet, thats even more points against it IMO

the 10 or 15k it would take someone to even get paint on it could be better spent on another car that would just about be finished IMO

Are both cars stored outside under a heavy plastic tarp? That is not helping the rust any, actually making it worse cause tarps trap moisture. Probably better to leave them uncovered, better yet, get them inside.
That was over the summer ( tarps ) look in the back ground and you see my shop under contruction and was completed just before winter . Cars have been under cover since October .

I would fix it. look at as money in the bank these old cars are like fine wine they only get better with age.and not to mention they will only be worth more.I think you will see its not that bad after its striped down and sand blasted..that's my thuat......................Artie:coffee2::coffee2::thumbup::thumbup:

I would fix it. look at as money in the bank these old cars are like fine wine they only get better with age.and not to mention they will only be worth more.I think you will see its not that bad after its striped down and sand blasted..that's my thuat......................Artie:coffee2::coffee2::thumbup::thumbup:
I dont think this is a maximum value car because it wont be #'s matching and missing paperwork/tags , correct me if I am wrong .

I dont think this is a maximum value car because it wont be #'s matching and missing paperwork/tags , correct me if I am wrong .

i would agree. like i say, without a trim tag or build sheet, you cant even show what it was optioned with. BUT if you plan on keeping this car and you are not worried about a resale value then that is a different story. i can say with confidence that you will not get what you will have put into it, anytime in the near future. down the road im sure that may change. dont beat yourself up to much. look around and get a good idea of what these cars are worth right now and what it would cost you to buy one similar in options and you can kind of go from there

Really tough call..

It has the potential to be a nice car when done. It is not a common model, and it is one you want.

The main drawback is that either you are going to pay big $$ to have someone do it correctly, or you are going to have to learn how to do it yourself. Most of the parts you need to replace can easily be found on any A-body, so getting metal would not be hard. It is just that in reality it will easily be a few years before you probably get the body into a shape that you are satisfied with. Can you see yourself devoting the time and money? If you are looking to drive it within the next two/three years, I cant see it based on what you have said you have for money/experience. It would be a long term learning experience.

Grant

Really tough call..

It has the potential to be a nice car when done. It is not a common model, and it is one you want.

The main drawback is that either you are going to pay big $$ to have someone do it correctly, or you are going to have to learn how to do it yourself. Most of the parts you need to replace can easily be found on any A-body, so getting metal would not be hard. It is just that in reality it will easily be a few years before you probably get the body into a shape that you are satisfied with. Can you see yourself devoting the time and money? If you are looking to drive it within the next two/three years, I cant see it based on what you have said you have for money/experience. It would be a long term learning experience.

Grant
I figured it was a 5 year plan at least so time is not an issue . I know better than to even think of doing this for investment purposes . I was looking for a project car just not sure that the body is actually worth putting the time /effort/money into , the rust is way worse than I thought it would be and since body work is NOT my stongest skill I am asking you all what you would do if it was in your yard .

I am asking you all what you would do if it was in your yard

That's a tough one to answer, primarily because each and everyone of us has different skill levels and dedication levels. Also do you have the space to dedicate to it long term.

I think truly it's something you have to argue with yourself about. I would say if you are a determined individual and it's what you want, that would weigh heavily into the decision.

Edit: Wow post number 2000.

That's a tough one to answer, primarily because each and everyone of us has different skill levels and dedication levels. Also to you have the space to dedicate to it long term.

I think truly it's something you have to argue with yourself about. I would say if you are a determined individual and it's what you want, that would weigh heavily into the decision.

Edit: Wow post number 2000.
congrats on your 2000TH !!! i drove right past my 3000 and didnt even notice until a few days ago lol

I say find the same car in a good solid roller, swap out all the "cool" parts and make it the ride you want... save the other car back in the corner and if you ever sell say, oh and the original body is here too....

Give it a proper burial, after its organs have been donated...or sold...Im from the west so I dont see this carnage every day.

I say find the same car in a good solid roller, swap out all the "cool" parts and make it the ride you want... save the other car back in the corner and if you ever sell say, oh and the original body is here too....

The perfect idea!!

My advice, based on what you've said ("not a rich man") is to try to sell this car, or this car plus the parts car to someone more skilled and just get a different car. The reason I say this is because you could dump a bunch of money into it, then get discouraged/overwhelmed, or run out of money, and then you won't get that money back when you sell later.

Instead of spending all that money fixing this car, I strongly suspect you'll reach your goal a lot sooner and a lot cheaper by just cutting your losses, and starting to save for a done car, or at least something much more done. The only reason I would not do what I'm suggesting is if this very particular car was the exact one you want. Like it has family history, or it's a 1 of 1 car with an option that means a lot to you, or something like that. Otherwise, it's just a car. Make it easier on yourself, save yourself the heartache and headache, not to mention damage to your wallet.

EDIT: I like 67Dart440GT's idea too, if you have the space to keep this car in the corner (inside) somewhere.

-
Back