How can I tell if my brakes need to be replaced?

-

Brunomcnico

Reaction score
I own a 2004 Pontiac Vibe. It is the base model and an automatic. I bought it used in February 2005 so I don't know when the brakes have been serviced last.

Lately I've noticed that there is a squeeking noise when I brake. I don't want to take it to the shop because I don't want them to tell me that they need to be replaced ASAP when in reality it's not that bad.

I'll start to slow down but the squeeking noise doesn't appear until right before I fully stop. It also makes a "thud" noise right when it's stopping. I have to press down on the brake pedal quite a bit before stopping.

Do I get the whole ensemble replaced or just the pads? How can I tell what needs to be done without paying an arm and a leg?

Is there anything I need to buy to put on the brakes? Cleaners or anything?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

the way u tell it its going to need them soon take the wheels off and take pics for ur we can tell ya later

I would take it in and have it serviced at a shop you trust ASAP. I sounds like you have a problem which could lead to failure. Do not second guess your brakes. leave that to a professional in person , not over the internet.

Squealing like a metal to metal sound may indicate that the tattle tails are rubbing the rotor. These are to let you know the pads are worn out before the rotors are damaged.the sooner brake repairs are done the less they cost. Putting repairs off damages additional components and puts you at risk. Sounds like a good time to trade in for an a body. DD

When they start grinding you just spent another hundred at least for rotors.

One of the things that can cause the squeaking is a layer of brake dust between the piston in the caliper and the back of the brake pad. This can be remedied by pulling the caliper off and cleaning the piston and the back of the pad with a wire brush. There is some no-squeal goo that big box parts stores sell that can be applied to the piston before reassembly. It will delay the return of the problem.

Since you have to pull the wheel off to do this, inspect BOTH sides of each rotor. Most often I find the problem on the inside surface. If there is scoring on the rotor, you have the more serious problem that others have described. If you do the work yourself, it isn't too expensive.

I had a similar problem with a Caravan that was solved with new pads and rotors. I think the Chinese sourced rotors were something like $24.00 each and gave good service until I sold the vehicle about 35k miles later.

-
Back