How can I tell?

-

Coyote Jack

Member #55, I'm old
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
When I bought my Demon, there was a disk brake setup that came with it. How do you tell what year it came from? How do you know if it has standard control arm bushings or eccentric? I do know it has the bigger ball joint in the upper control arm. I also noticed that the strut rod bushings were different from the ones I took off of the drum brake setup. Any help would be good help.

Jack

How do you know if it has standard control arm bushings or eccentric?

The control arm bushing will either have the bolt hole centered, or offset to one side. It is the bolt that goes thru the bushing that may have an eccentric. Essentially this is a large washer that is offset.

Here is a pic of an offset bushing
1MAsusp4.JPG

3MAsusp2.GIF

Not sure if AOL will let me link those, so here is the web site they came from just in case.
http://hometown.aol.com/pwall5/cars/tips.html

The bushings I took out of the upper arm were the standard type. What is the benefit of the eccentric ones? Is it more adjustability?
I also thought of something else. The disk setup I am putting in has the 4 1/2 bolt pattern.

Jack

The offset bushings as some camber. Whats the diameter of the rotor ?

Actually, the offset bushings are to add more caster, not camber. Radial tires need more + caster angle than the old bias ply tires. The eccentric on the control arm mounting bolt is to make it easier to set the camber and caster angles when you take it in for an alignment. :thumrigh:

-
Back