How did you install your hood scoop?

-

'74 Sport

Reaction score
I recently got an aftermarket twin snorkle hood scoop from Mopar by Crane. The fiberglass scoop's quality and finish is excellent. They don't include mounting studs, but it has a wide flange turned in about an inch along the bottom edge.

Sarah Crane told me some folks rivet them on, some use sheet metal screws, and others use barrel nuts to add their own studs. Regardless of how I mount it to Aaron's Dart Sport, should I put some type of weatherstripping material between the hood and the scoop? If so, how will water run out from under the scoop, since it would be entirely sealed in? If I don't use weatherstripping, what will prevent water from seeping into the holes drilled through the hood for the mounting screws/studs/rivets? Wouldn't that cause rust to develop around the edges of the drilled holes? Not to mention how it would soak the underhood insulation padding.

How have you guys with scoops done yours?

Jerry

I take it your talking about installing it in a non-functional use? Regardless, if you drill holes thru painted surfaces I would be sure to apply masking tape first and drill through that (helps prevent cracking the paint around the edge of the holes you drill) also I would use paint to touch up the exposed metal, and then when installing the screws, rivets, whatever, I would put a dab of silicone on/in the hole to give it that much more protection. I am sure others who have done the same install will chime in on whether you should seal the scoop to the hood or not, but as you yourself have stated, on a non-functional scoop, if there is no place for the water to go it will just sit in there causing trouble in the future. I would even go so far to say that for a non functional scoop I would place a very small spacer in the form of a stainless steel washer (as thin as you can find, probably along the lines of a 32nd of an inch or so to actually keep the flange of the scoop from "sealing" to the hood surface, yet not enough to be noticeable. Just my opinion. Of course if your actually cutting holes to make the scoop functional, that will be a whole different gremlin altogether.

Scoop.JPG

This picture doesn't really do it justice (crappy cheap camera).

It took longer than I thought it would, but it was only because of the way I do things. Measure and check about ten times before drilling or cutting. This is a fiberglass scoop sold by Mopars by Crane. Very nice quality, but we had to modify the leading edge slightly to get it to fit tighter over the ridge running down the center of Aaron's Dart Sport hood. A flat hood, like some Dusters I've seen, would have been OK.

We wound up drilling 7/32" holes through the hood and 5/32" holes up through the scoop's flange (tucked up underneath out of sight). We placed a little dab of silicone on each hole, top and bottom, then fastened the scoop down with #12 stainless sheet metal screws. Much easier than trying to use bolts/nuts and cheaper than rivets (don't have a rivet gun).

I'll try to get some better pics posted someday, but you get the idea.
Jerry

Now, Aaron wants a go-wing...

Very nice. As I asked/stated though, is this a functional scoop, or just a "for looks" scoop?

looks good man i wish mine looked like that but after i got the car running an forgot that it wasnt bolted down good one launch down the street an she went flyin!

Kraby, sorry, I overlooked your question. It is non-functional. Of course, all it would take is cutting a couple of holes in the hood and get some of the round gaskets from Laysons.

Jerry

-
Back