How did you run your fuel line?

-

SGBARRACUDA

ROY
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Ok so I'm working on the fuel system install on my 68 Barracuda. I'm using a 12 gal RCI aluminum fuel cell (2121A),I'm plumbing this to a Fram HPG fuel filter, then to a 12-802-1 Holley electric fuel pump. From this point I need a little advice. Filter/pump is mounted on the inside of the right rear frame rail.
I would like to run the fuel line and the return fuel line on the outside of the frame rail. I plan on running both lines thru the body braces towards the front, then up the fender well to the top of the inner fender well and use two bulkhead connectors at the top.
How can I make the transition of the fuel lines from the inside of the frame rails to the outside?
I forgot to mention I have frame rail connectors. I don't want to run the lines under the frame rails, so I'm thinking to drill holes through the frame rails right in front of the front leaf spring hanger. This sound good? Or maybe you have a better idea?

I drill holes at a 45* angle to make the turn as straight as possible, welded a tube in place
also added a protection sleeve as it passes threw the tube
inside frame rail
047_zps33fc4d2a.jpg

outside frame rail
044_zps94antwrl.jpg

along the frame connector
012_zpsxxjezpq5.jpg

tubed thru the trans cross member
then 45* bulk head connector and a 90* at the end

014_zpsqlfquzfx.jpg

050_zpsopm4xyku.jpg

Thanks for the reply and pictures. You did the same thing I had in mind wit the exception that I'll be using two bulk head connectors and running two lines, a (return line). That and I'm going to try and run aluminum line most of the way. Nice job by the way.

I wanted to run the lines outside the frame rails for a couple of reasons. I want to remove as much as I can from the heat of headers and exhaust and to protect the lines from possible rupture from a failing driveshaft, flexplate failure,etc. And yes the fuel lines will terminate much like draginmopars did his. Lj67, that is a nice job on the fuel lines.

One issue with running them on the inside of the rails. When and if you show up to the track. A proper tech inspection would not allow you to compete unless you run either steel braided lines or your line is encased in a 16-inch length of steel tubing, 1/8-inch-minimum wall thickness as it passes the flywheel or converter area. Section 20 page 5 general rules for reference.

This is the main reason for running them on the outside of the frame. I encountered that issue on another car already.
One issue with running them on the inside of the rails. When and if you show up to the track. A proper tech inspection would not allow you to compete unless you run either steel braided lines or your line is encased in a 16-inch length of steel tubing, 1/8-inch-minimum wall thickness as it passes the flywheel or converter area. Section 20 page 5 general rules for reference.

does that rule include the fact if you use a scatter shield, which I'm using? Mine might go to the track just to test for fun, maybe. Thanks for the info on the rules.

does that rule include the fact if you use a scatter shield, which I'm using? Mine might go to the track just to test for fun, maybe. Thanks for the info on the rules.

Fuel lines (except steel-
braided lines) in the flywheel/bellhousing area must be enclosed in a 16-
inch length of steel tubing, 1/8-inch minimum wall thickness, securely
mounted as a protection against fuel-line rupture.

Fuel lines (except steel-
braided lines) in the flywheel/bellhousing area must be enclosed in a 16-
inch length of steel tubing, 1/8-inch minimum wall thickness, securely
mounted as a protection against fuel-line rupture.
I went into the frame in back, right out of the pump. went up over the hump in the frame rails-thru the frame connectors, then outside the frame up on top of the front framer rail sneaking up the pass side front inner fender. things are awful tite w/ a raised port headed , tti headered 440 in a 68 barracuda!

Ok thought I would post some pictures of what I have accomplished so far. Got the system run from the fuel cell to just behind the right front wheel. Lets hear what you think.

fuel system barracuda.jpg

fuel system barracuda-2.jpg

fuel system barracuda-3.jpg

fuel system barracuda-4.jpg

fuel system barracuda-5.jpg

fuel system barracuda-6.jpg

Roy, all that looks and sounds good, except for one thing. IMO, it is never a good idea to run the fuel line in the wheel house area. I have witnessed first hand what a blowout can and will do at speed. I saw a car's right front tire blow out and the remains of the tire destroyed the fuel lines in the wheel house AND ignited the fuel instantly from all of the sparks.

I had a BAD blowout myself just this past Wednesday on my way to work and I was going as slow as I always do....about 50. That tire slap exploded. It bent the left front fender a little even at that slow speed. If I had fuel lines run in that area, I can guarantee you my truck would have caught on fire.

Just food for thought.

Roy, all that looks and sounds good, except for one thing. IMO, it is never a good idea to run the fuel line in the wheel house area. I have witnessed first hand what a blowout can and will do at speed. I saw a car's right front tire blow out and the remains of the tire destroyed the fuel lines in the wheel house AND ignited the fuel instantly from all of the sparks.

I had a BAD blowout myself just this past Wednesday on my way to work and I was going as slow as I always do....about 50. That tire slap exploded. It bent the left front fender a little even at that slow speed. If I had fuel lines run in that area, I can guarantee you my truck would have caught on fire.

Just food for thought.
Well I did think of that and changed my plans some what. Where you see the aluminum lines stop, I was going to run the aluminum line thru the last section of the fender extension and all the way up to the bulk head connectors on the inner fender well. Then I had the thought you said or a rock or other debris being kicked up by the right front tire and cutting the line. So I stopped with the aluminum where you see it and I'm going to run braided line through two holes with grommets to the bulk head connectors. May not help in a blow out? But the braided line should fend off flying debris.

You could easily fab up a metal shield to put over the lines in the wheel house, too. That's what I would do.

-
Back