How difficult to file fit rings ?

-

rebeldart

Reaction score
Was given a set of Mopar moly file fit rings - I'm either going to use them (.030 over) or maybe see what I can sell them for and buy a regular set. How tough is it (and time consuming) to do this yourself with the right tool of course and are they worth it for a street vehicle ?

Not to hard at all Just sink in the block in the respective cilinder and square up with a piston and then mike with a feeler gauge to see what needs taken off for manufactures end gap. This should really be done to any performance engine as if it ever runs hot or you spray no2 and they butt it really does damage to the cylinder walls and may break and blow a cylinder. Time well spent in my opinion .The difference between a rebuild and a custom built motor. Jegs sells a hand crank ring filer at a reasonable price or a smooth blade en a disc grinder will also work,and dont forget to bevel when done.

Thanks - may give it a shot. Yes I am considering nitrous so would probably be worth the time/trouble. Where do I find correct file to gap specs if hitting with nitrous (rarely) ?

They sell a tool for filing rings. If you don't want to spend the money for the tool and work carefully nail files from the pharmacy work well. Just support the ring on a flat surface with the gap just hanging over the edge. Place the nail file between the ends and let the ring pressure against the file do the work as you pull the file up and down. Make sure to clean up the edges when you are down and check the gap often.

Its pretty easy. we did it to my sons 360 a couple of months ago. heres a few pic's -hope this helps. Richard

360 build up 004 (Small).jpg

360 build up 006 (Small).jpg

360 build up 007 (Small).jpg

360 build up 008 (Small).jpg

360 build up 011 (Small).jpg

360 build up 005 (Small).jpg

360 build up 003 (Small).jpg

piston manufacturer should provide specs. I know my kb hypereutectics had a large gap due to piston expansion

-
Back