How Difficult to replace Extension housing?

-

Ehbody

Reaction score
Hi...I have an 833 with the shorter extension for my Duster..I purchased an 833od that came with the longer extension. How hard is it to adapt the shorter ext. to the 833od?..Dan

I don't think it's possible. The od unit uses a smaller diameter output shaft.

Antoon

Hi...I have an 833 with the shorter extension for my Duster..I purchased an 833od that came with the longer extension. How hard is it to adapt the shorter ext. to the 833od?..Dan

You can't , the mainshaft is different between the std 833 and the OD where 3rd gear mounts, also most all 833OD A/F body trans have a 904 sized output shaft.

If you really want the OD trans I am pretty sure I have the tailhousing and the mainshaft from an A/F OD trans , I know I have the tailhousing , I'll have to check for the mainshaft. I'll sell you the parts cheap , heck I'll trade them for the non OD 833 :-D

You need an OD mainshaft to match the short housing on your 833, spline count and roller bearing. Watch the front bearing size on the input shaft as most OD use the larger 308 roller bearing and you can not get a retainer to fit the small pilot hole bellhousing. If you get this far and find you have the small pilot bellhousing you can swap it all into the small bearing main housing, but it doesn't sound like you want to get that far into it. There are short OD mainshafts in large and small spline versions. the small version is the most common.

I spoke to Jammie @ Passon Perf. Here is how it works..I'm using the cast iron housing,short tailhousing and cluster gear shaft from the 1:1. I'm then installing all the O/D internals and a shorter O/D mainshaft(that I got from Jammie).Should be about as strong an O/D 833 as you can have. I'm keeping all the 1:1 internals in case I ever want to use them.

-
Back