How do I get paint mist overspray off my windshield?

-
There is glass polish compound available on eBay / Amazon.

View attachment 1716000020

it will polish out fine scratches in glass.

I had some deep goudges in my rear tailgate glass. (Long story)

I used the polish and while you can still see the scratches they are about 25% of what they were.
I have used this stuff to polish out scratches, some of them deep but only after cleaning the windows with 0000 steel wool and windex. I used an 8 inch wool pad from true value hardware and a hole shooter. If you use those 2 inch harbor freight polishing bob, you will be there forever with poor results. When polishing, be careful not to get window too hot, use plenty of water. Polish, rinse and take a break, repeat. Polish in the shade, out of direct sunlight. I do mine in the garage. Also it is messy.

I would not use steel wool or a razor blade, I would use clay bar OR bronze wool 0000 grade.
Homax Fine Grade Bronze Wool Pads (3-Pack) 123100 - The Home Depot
I do agree with the clay bar. It can get off some overspray, depending on how bad it is. One time I sprayed some base and clear on a few small parts and forgot to take my glasses off. My Griot's Garage Quick Detailer and Claybar took it all off.
WOW! I have never heard of Bronze wool. I am going to buy some tomorrow. Thanks.

Use the glass polish . Steel wool and razor will scratch the glass. You wont notice it until you drive into the Sun .

Okay, just hit the windshield with 0000 steel wool and soapy water. Worked great, everything nice and clean now. Thanks, all!

I recently has part of my hood repainted. Now when I'm driving into the sun, I can see that a fine mist of paint overspray has been deposited on my windshield. Does anyone have any great techniques for removing this stuff without damaging the windshield glass? Tried using a razor blade, which didn't work. Also tried a 3M scuff pad soaked in lacquer thinner, which also didn't work. All ideas welcome - thanks!
I use lacquer thinner on a rag

I recently has part of my hood repainted. Now when I'm driving into the sun, I can see that a fine mist of paint overspray has been deposited on my windshield. Does anyone have any great techniques for removing this stuff without damaging the windshield glass? Tried using a razor blade, which didn't work. Also tried a 3M scuff pad soaked in lacquer thinner, which also didn't work. All ideas welcome - thanks!
1666900325343.png

Just did this for a neighbor. Clean windshield with commercial cleaner (Windex).
Use a moist sponge. It will dry like polish and wipe clean. May need to repeat, doing small area at a time. This is available on Ebay or others

Used a ton of that stuff on the job with a graphic arts camera business. Polishing plate glass was an almost daily chore.
It definitely works.
Edit: 1.7 Oz. HAH! We bought it by the gallon jug.....
Not to clean but to hide scratches I use "Pearl Drops", for teeth on my glass. Must redo after washing your car. Great for car shows.

View attachment 1716003443
Just did this for a neighbor. Clean windshield with commercial cleaner (Windex).
Use a moist sponge. It will dry like polish and wipe clean. May need to repeat, doing small area at a time. This is available on Ebay or others
Product says water stain remover. Vinegar will do the same. If there is an acid in the product, be careful on any metal items. Wash well and add a little sodium bicarb (baking soda) to the wash to neutralize the acid.

Okay, just hit the windshield with 0000 steel wool and soapy water. Worked great, everything nice and clean now. Thanks, all!
This is one of the things I like about you. You always let us know how things turn out and which method you tried.

use a clay bar, its very fast an easy, and you will be able to see what you are getting out. may need to do a few passes if the overspray is bad.

-
Back