How do I get the Headlight and wiper switches off of my 65 Dart?

-

timbolia

65Wagon
Reaction score
I am trying to get the instrument cluster off and can't figure out how these knobs come off! I have removed the rings behind the knobs and all of the screws on the dash but the knobs are still in the way.

I am trying to get the instrument cluster off and can't figure out how these knobs come off! I have removed the rings behind the knobs and all of the screws on the dash but the knobs are still in the way.
Reach around to the back side of the switch. On the top side of the switsh should be a button. Push it down and pull the knob out at the same time. The knob is attached to the shaft. One piece. Been there and done this. Hope this helped.

Disconnect the battery.

To remove the headlamp switch knob: Reach up behind the dash and find the headlamp switch body. Feel around on the sides, top, and bottom until you find a small round domed button. Tape a penny to whichever finger or thumb will allow you to press that domed button hardest and most effectively. Press the domed button very hard with one hand and wiggle it as you use your other hand to grasp the headlamp knob and pull it firmly(!) out beyond its normal "on" position. It may take several tries and a good deal of wiggling, but eventually the knob and shaft will come out of the switch.

To remove the wiper knob: Find its setscrew, loosen it (small allen wrench/hex key), and remove the knob.

To remove the headlamp, wiper, and ignition switch bezel nuts: Carefully insert the points of a snap ring pliers into two opposite slots in the bezel nut and carefully turn anticlockwise. If you cannot break them loose, make very careful use of a slotted screwdriver and small hammer to break them loose. Take your time so you don't scratch or scar the plastic IP faceplate.

To remove the cigarette lighter: Pull the knob and lighter out of the dash and set aside. Reach around behind the dash, unplug the wire plugged into the centre of the back of the lighter, then grasp the lighter body (still behind the dash) and unscrew it. At the same time, unscrew the bezel from the front of the dash.

Thanks guys!

That was exactly the info I needed. New headlight switch is now in, and my fuel gauge is working again!

-
Back