How do I ID a 340?

-

ESP47

Reaction score
So far I've only had slant 6's but I found a pretty cheap car and the guy says it's a 340. I went and looked at it and it idles nice but I have no idea if it's an actual 340 or not. I brought a paper with the v8 casting numbers on it but I couldn't really see anything with the exhaust manifolds in the way. Does anyone have a picture I can reference? I'm not sure if I need to get under the car or if you can see it from the top or what. Also if I can't see the casting number, is there any other way to ID the motor while it's in the car? Thanks!

It's stamped in big letters on the side of the block. Just crawl underneath with a flashlight and you should see it unless it's covered with oil and dirt. Take a scraper and wire brush in that case.

There should be some numbers stamped into the block on the front, just under the driver's side head that will have information about the block. One part will be the engine size. The stamping is faint sometimes, and can be filled with paint. Some brake cleaner and a rag can help a bunch. And a flashlight.

The only other external ID is the casting numbers on the side of the block, which you've already said that you can't see.

I saw some numbers on the front of the block just under the head but they didn't seem like they had any significance. At least not to the casting numbers I wrote down.

So if I get under the car and look up at the side of the block with a flashlight, it should be on the side of the block? Basically the exhaust manifold blocks your view of it from the top?

I saw some numbers on the front of the block just under the head but they didn't seem like they had any significance. At least not to the casting numbers I wrote down.

So if I get under the car and look up at the side of the block with a flashlight, it should be on the side of the block? Basically the exhaust manifold blocks your view of it from the top?

All LA engines have the size in raised numbers on the drivers side underneath the manifold and above the starter. First there is a 7 or 8 digit block casting # followed by a space then a single digit then another space and the engine size. I attached a picture of a bare 360 block so you can see where it's at. It's upside down but if you look closely you can see the numbers I mentioned and get an idea where to look.

BTW: You might also see a real large number after the engine size. I have no idea what that means.

-
Back