how do i install a 69 valiant grille in a 71 duster?

-

diymirage

HP@idle > hondaHP@redline
Reaction score
hey guys, i bought a 69 valiant grille for my 71 duster and it is not swapping in as easy as i hoped
with this being a 45 year old car, i wanted to make sure i get it right before i start tweaking things

the stock grille wrapped around the hoodlatch/grille support and the valiant unit does not seem to want to do that

do i need one from a valiant or do i just need to massage the stocker?

IIRC they do not swap super easily - I wish I could be more help, but I have never done it. Are you going to share some pics with us of the process? Just FYI - Tom went the other way - he put a 71 Sharktooth in a 69 Valiant.

sure, ill grab some pics in a few hours when i head out
(tons a stuff going on today...completely car unrelated)

i just went out today to test fit it, and see which way is up before i paint it
so dont expect anything fancy...specially since i may need a new support bracket before i can button this up

I like you have found that nothing is the same and many yearly changes though slight,,messes up the whole project. I wanted to swap out my 68 Valiant grille(I so hate the look of the plain blank center section) but it's not just the grille that needs changed.Please post you findings !!

You mean like this in my '71 Scamp? Couple other things happening in the picture also if you look hard. Not hard once you start fitting it. they are the same lenght and height. The Valiant grill does not use the plastic upper mounts to the upper valance I use button head small screws in 2 places and mounted the bottom with a small bolt in each side to the lower valance. Headlight door screws are in the same place also. Just takes some thinking as you go along but mine looks better then factory at this point.

oct2016 009.JPG

You mean like this in my '71 Scamp? Couple other things happening in the picture also if you look hard. Not hard once you start fitting it. they are the same lenght and height. The Valiant grill does not use the plastic upper mounts to the upper valance I use button head small screws in 2 places and mounted the bottom with a small bolt in each side to the lower valance. Headlight door screws are in the same place also. Just takes some thinking as you go along but mine looks better then factory at this point.

View attachment 1714993733
I will try to get you a picture of the mounting later tonight. It does take some massaging of the upper valance but nothing special needed.

yes sir, just like that
(but i will paint mine mostly black)

im looking forward to seeing what you did to make that support work

VICTORY!!!

turns out there was one rivet on each side i had to drill out
by doing this, it allowed the mounting bracket to slide UNDER the support while the rest wrapped around it, like the stocker

this is it mocked up

the support on the driver side needs some massaging, and the bottom locating tabs need to be swapped over but you get the idea

i intend to paint it black, minus the very outer edge, and the interior slats (if that makes sense)

20161129_170736.jpg

20161129_140938.jpg

20161129_170707.jpg

20161129_171317.jpg

Last edited:

View attachment 1714993733
Last picture is the corners of the upper valance reshaped some for the grill to slide under. Next one up is the mounting hole on the bottom of the grill enlarged in ordrt to put a bolt thru to the lower valance,this is on the bottom of mount where the headlight door attaches. the others are the top where the 2 screws went thru instead of the OE push plastic mounts

008.JPG

012.JPG

010.JPG

011.JPG

I agree they are the best looking a body grilles, except for maybe the sharktooth. Plain and simple.
I prefer these over the shark tooth grilles
This one flows better with the 71 taillights and my side stripes

Now, if I had a demon tail light panel THEN the sharkie would look better

-
Back