How do I remove my steering colum?

-

72_Durstya

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how to remove my steering colum? I have a 72 Duster with power steering, so far I've disconnected everything from the firewall. I've taken a close look at the cloum and I noticed that the shaft of the steering colum goes into a connecting tube like shaft (sorry for not knowing the correct term) and there seems to eighther be an alan key bolt or locking pin that goes through both shafts locking them together. I this right and if so how do i remove it? I've tried alan keys but none seem to fit and I have also tried a punch and hammer.

If you are talking about the pin that holds the column shaft to the steering box you need to use a punch to get it out. I believe it is a 1/4" but dont quote me on that one. There are no allen screws or bolts in our columns.

It's a tension pin and as Mike states you just drive it out. BUT, depending on how rusty it is down there it may still be stubborn coming apart.

If worst comes to worst you can just give it a tug and the guts will come out of the coupler. You can get a rebuild kit that includes the slider blocks inside, spring clip, seal and seal retainer for about $7 at the local Dodge Dealer. Also there is a guy on the web that sells a clip that will hold it all together again. http://www.mopar4sale.com/

You do not need to remove the coupler roll pin to get the column out. The only time you would even attempt that is with it all out on the bench so you can easily drive the pin out. Trying to to do that while it's in the car can destroy the steering box seal, not to mention making you very grumpy when it refuses to come out.

Unplug two flat plug connectors, unbolt the mounting flange from the floor (three bolts) then drop the column off the bottom of the dash (two bolts). The whole assembly coupler and all, then slides right out.

BTW, that roll pin holds the column shaft to the coupler, not the steering box. Of course, I assume you would somehow disconnect the shifter if auto on the column, should be obvious, but don't know..

We must be talking about two different things.

The coupler I am talking about is the piece at the end of the steering column that acts as a u-joint to allow some miss alignment between the column and the steering box. It has a serrated hole in the end and slips over the serrated shaft coming out of the steering box. There is a roll pin that goes through this coupler and interlocks with a matching groove in the shaft from the box.

This pin is what holds the coupler to the box and if you do not remove it you can't remove the shaft without pulling the guts from the coupler as I mentioned.

The pin is a split tension pin and it typically takes very little force to drive it out, certainly not enough to damage seals or bushings. I have done a few of these and have not had trouble removing the pin but I have had trouble getting the coupler off the steering box because of rust.

Here is a link that shows the parts of the coupler. http://www.mopar4sale.com/tsb1.htm

No, I had it backwards, you're right the coulper is pinned to the box shaft. But if you have one that is froze with rust and age, pounding on it can damage the box's shaft seal. It is much easier and safer to as you say "pull the guts out." That is the parts you would be replacing to rebuild the coupler anyway. Better yet, install a u-joint coupler and never worry about it again. If you need to get the coupler off to do that make sure to back the shaft up with a block of wood wedged in there somehow to avoid damaging the seal.

-
Back