How do I repair rear seat belt mount locations properly

-

Wvbuzzmaster

Reaction score
So here is a question that needs to be answered… The inner wheel houses where the rear seat belt retractors bolt to are both screwed… (1972 Duster). I have no metal remaining on either inner wheel house to determine how they should look… they looked repaired at first but now I think the metal rusted and ripped away with the missing rear seat belts revealing the next wheel house layer lol. So I have new to me rear seat belt retractors… and the interior is ripped out of the car currently, so if I am going to weld something in there now is the time. However I do not have any shape available to replicate, nor am I sure what it is I am doing for that, but whatever I do it needs to be done correctly and strong because seat belts are important… Even though I have no planned rear passengers right now, the car will have the back seat in it so I need to make sure I do not short cut this now… and get it right. I will add pics of the damage later today but right now looking for any advice, and or hunks of mounting location sheet metal, but not sure how much success I am going to have. My current repair tactics on this car has been overlapping sheet metal with spot welds and JB weld to make sure it is secure, so not against that in this yet another hidden location lol. Any advice or helpful ideas?

Well first off, JB weld isn't a good solution for this repair. I have a Dart in the garage with the interior pulled out. I'll try to get you some pics of the rear mounts today.

Weld in new sheet metal and get the seat belt mounts from any car from the inner seat belts as seen in this picture below. Trim them if needed and Drill a couple holes in them and plug weld them on the outside of the wheel house to hold them in place. This will be your new threaded plate for the belt. Easy peasy

DSCN1272.jpg

“I need to make sure I don’t shortcut this now”
Then JB weld enters the conversation? No way!

-
Back