how do i ship a flywheel

-

highflyer

Reaction score
anybody shipped a 30 lb flywheel halfway across the us,,id like some input on how to do it as cheaply as possible...i hope this is the right place to ask this,,thanks for the help..j

i put one in a pizza box and taped the heck out of it and took it to fed-ex .....it really didnt cost much through fed-ex....its heavy but its really not that big ...and its not awkward to carry....important factors a shipper considers.

If a 130 tooth, it should fit in a Large USPS flat rate box. About $15 anywhere in the US.

It's still 30ish pounds and will likely cost about $30 via fedex or UPS.

yes a 130 tooth but its still about 3/4 of an inch bigger than a fr box..im gonna try to set it up a on end a little and see what i can do..i have some of those boxes..j

We ship SB 130 tooth converters in those large flat rate boxes all the time.

I got some metal parts in a box the other day. Hell I dunno if all of them made it cause there was a big hole where they had beat their way out of the little box.
Wrap it in old clothes. Tape the clothes around it. Put in box. Duct tape the hell out of the box.
Fire it off to the promise land.

There are 2 styles(sizes) of the Large Flat Rate box. That is how I shipped one.

make sure the flywheel is tight inside the package.Tape the ring gear so it doesn't cut the box. Cut the cardboard to fit, then tape the thing tight-- then choose the carrier that gives you the best deal-- they all have flaws. Lawrence

i shipped a converter to a fella in florida some time back,but it fit perfectly in th 12 x 5 large box..the fly wheel is just a little bigger..ill have to try some of these suggestions today and see.thanks to all who helped on this...jim

When packing an item for shipping through USPS pack it as if it were going to tumble down a flight of stairs.

The pizza box is a great idea, as well as wrapping the flywheel in some kind of cloth or other material. I use carpet padding a lot!! I would also go the extra mile and pack it in a "box-in-box" method of putting one box in another. Make the second box larger by enough to surround the first box with 2" of styrofoam packaging. I buy 2" styrofoam sheets 4x8' from Home Depot for $11.75 and keep it on hand for such packaging. I'm sure everybody is aware, but no shipper will insure a claim unless the item is surrounded by 2" of packaging material, and I hear UPS is going to a 4" minimum!! Geof

-
Back