How do I tell cast or forged?

-

fanboatman

Mopar nut
Reaction score
I picked up my 440 and in my other thread someone said it could have a forged crank. How can I tell without tearing the motor down? The casting number on the block is 3698830-440-5 if that helps, and it is date coded 7-30-72.

most likely its a forged but.... I tell if the damper is still on the front. The forged damper is is about not very thick 3/4's to 1". But the cast one is big and thick looks liek a doughnut. If no damper pop the pan and look

I would Have to say it is forged then. It is about 3/4 to 1 in thick and looks more like a round solid weight than a balancer. That is good to know. Now if I could just remember where I planted that money tree maybe I could get my demon on the road.

I picked up my 440 and in my other thread someone said it could have a forged crank. How can I tell without tearing the motor down? The casting number on the block is 3698830-440-5 if that helps, and it is date coded 7-30-72.
I told you on your other thread that it was forged...440 motor home engines were forged with six pack rods through 1973 then switched to cast externally ballanced....very wide looking flash on the backside of the counter weights...8)

I was just wanting to make sure. I thought it might be different since mine does not have the hd stuff like the brake and short tailshaft on the trans, but it's not.

The thick flashing can barely be seen in the photo....
IMG00181-20100414-1257.jpg

The Cast dampner has a notch cut out of it and the torque convertor will have weights welded to it....

IMG00182-20100414-1257.jpg

What is stamped on the ID pad on top of the engine ? The casting number on the side of the block is USELESS in trying to tell if it has a forged or cast crank. If it has never been rebuilt the ID pad on top will tell you what you want to know .

If there is a "E" AFTER the 440 stamp then it has a cast crank.

It is either j440t or t440j. I believe it is the first one. I am sure it has a forged crank now.

-
Back