How do I tell if a shortened rear end is good

-
Unless you want to build a jig or hire someone who has one, you cannot.

The important stuff is

The centerline of the carrier bearings---which must line up with the axles, must project a straight line out to the center of the axle bearing mounts

The axle bearing mounts must NOT be "canted, in other words they must be square to the above centerline--which is imaginary without a jig

The dimensions must be correct in relation to the axles, I.E. You don't want at least one axle too long/ housing too short, putting end pressure on the axle/ bearing. (This of course mostly with "green" ball bearings. With original tapered bearings, you would not be able to set end play)

Obviously, you don't want it too short, short enough that the axle splines are barely engaged

THIS page:

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/613830-straighten-bent-9-ford-housing.html

is one of many you can Google which will give the idea. You obtain/ make bushings which fit in place of the carrier bearings, and fit "tight slip" on a precision bar that is --STRAIGHT-- and additional bushings which fit the axle bearing mounts.

The bar can be "full width" or "half width" in which you check one side at a time.

I can tell you that I've got one that somebody narrowed for me & you can tell just by looking at it that it's no good. The bearings would probably be shot in the first 100 miles. :angry7: Wish I could catch back up with the guy...

A quick rough check would be to clamp two 4' levels or striaght edges centered to the bearing housing ends and measure between the two at forward and rearward ends of levels. If the two measurements are off by 3/8" you have bad fitup; less than that would be OK. That won't tell how carrier centerline aligns to bearings but good workmanship should follow there also.

-
Back