How do I tell if I have a 225

-
To DIRECTLY answer the question you asked, since you never said it was actually in a vehicle, there is a casting number on the driver side of the block behind the manifolds, but they are the same for a 198 and 225. There is a pad on the block rail just under the valve cover lip on the passenger side that should have the displacement stamped into it. Probably a lot of grease on it.

The way I usually tell is if it has a longer bypass hose from the water pump to the head its either a 225 or a 198 (probably a 225). If it has a really short hose there (like 1 inch) its a 170.

I can't get a pi to post on here the number on the head is 2843169-2 and the only thing I found on the block under the intake is 2806830-4 it's in a car and has a fender stamp just can't post pic for some reason

rocker is close... if the clamps for the bypass hose between the head and water pump are within about a 1/2" its a 170

Yeah I mean he never did state that it wasn't in a car so I made the logical assumption that it was.

The block casting number is for a '68-74 225 engine...(198 used same block casting number)to be sure find the numbers stamped on the top surface of the block,same sealing surface of the head gasket, below the front spark plug, above of the coil/alternator bracket. You will usually have to scrape and clean away grease and it is faintly stamped. I always clean with a rag and brake cleaner.

The tag says it's a black 74 Duster with a 225, auto trans, AM radio and air conditioning. Just like the one in your avatar:D

-
Back