How do I "Torsion bar inspection"

-

Fredsgarage

64 Dart Vert Project, 62 Lancer Wagon BIG project
Reaction score
So Im going through the 62 Lancer and the floors are real rusty. I want to make sure that the Torsion bars will be easy to service and that the mounts are not damaged. Anyone have any thoughts on how to do this, what to look for?

So Im going through the 62 Lancer and the floors are real rusty. I want to make sure that the Torsion bars will be easy to service and that the mounts are not damaged. Anyone have any thoughts on how to do this, what to look for?
Pressure wash the torsion bar cross mount and the front ant rear torsion bar mounts. Blast away at the accumulation of grime-grease-grit and rust. That will enable you to do a visual inspection. If it passes that, get something like a 1/4 to 3/8 inch diameter punch with a flat on the business end and a hammer and check out the torsion bar cross member by giving it some decent hits every couple of inches.
If the punch breaks through the cross member, you know what that means.
If it does not, chances are it’s ok, you will get a better look at it with the floors out.

Pressure wash the torsion bar cross mount and the front ant rear torsion bar mounts. Blast away at the accumulation of grime-grease-grit and rust. That will enable you to do a visual inspection. If it passes that, get something like a 1/4 to 3/8 inch diameter punch with a flat on the business end and a hammer and check out the torsion bar cross member by giving it some decent hits every couple of inches.
If the punch breaks through the cross member, you know what that means.
If it does not, chances are it’s ok, you will get a better look at it with the floors out.
Are Cross Members available should I need to replace it?

I doubt that a direct replacement torsion bar cross member is available for a 1962 Valient. You will need to look for that. Try a parts wanted post. But be careful, any OE 62 cross member that you get is as old as yours. Get lots of photos prior to the purchase
You may be able to modify a cross member from a more recent A body to fit. See what AMD has available.
At slantsix.org there are several folks with the first generation A bodies, you may want to also ask over there.

I doubt that a direct replacement torsion bar cross member is available for a 1962 Valient. You will need to look for that. Try a parts wanted post. But be careful, any OE 62 cross member that you get is as old as yours. Get lots of photos prior to the purchase
You may be able to modify a cross member from a more recent A body to fit. See what AMD has available.
At slantsix.org there are several folks with the first generation A bodies, you may want to also ask over there.
Good Thinking. IM a member of Slant.ORG, I reach out to the good folks over there.

-
Back