How do you DYE KICK PANELS?

-
Reaction score
Can it be done? I seem to remember hearing that it has been done.

I have some original gold ones, but I'm changing my interior over to black. Anyone have any product recommendations?

Thanks!
-Andy

66dartgtproject said:
Can it be done? I seem to remember hearing that it has been done.

I have some original gold ones, but I'm changing my interior over to black. Anyone have any product recommendations?

Thanks!
-Andy

go to your local supply shop and get some spray paint that is used for vynal,velour,carpet

interiour paint

Dyeing interior panels is fairly easy. First use a good cleaner....not a protectorant. Armor all has silicone that will cause fisheyes in the paint. I use a cleaner like spray nine. After the panels are clean, spay on the vinyl/plastic dye in light coats. If you go to heavy, you will fill in the grain on the panel, and the paint could chip of easily.

I changed the interior of my 68 Barracuda from blue (front seat from white) to black with SEM vinyl dye (available at Eastwoods or your local body supply). On the plastic parts I used the plastic prep and on the soft vinyl I used the vinyl prep. Cleaned the parts several times with an ammonia based cleaner and used the prep materials.

The door panels, visors, kick panels, dash pad, etc haven't been touched in the 4 1/2 years since they were done. The seats require touch up once or twice per year where your butt slides over the piping.

I tried Dupli-Color but it didn't look as natural (to much gloss) as the SEM product.

I used Krylon Fusion for plastic on all the plastic parts in my interior and they came out looking good. A lot better than the green they were.

I used that Krylon Fusion on a patio chair and it took way too much product so I could have a bought a new chair cheaper. It didn't hold up well either, but then I didn't prep the chair very well and it sat outside 24/7.

-
Back