how do you if it needs rebuilding

-

mismy69swinger

Reaction score
i just got an a833 for my a body i dont want to put it in and have to take it out. is there any signs that let you know like input shaft play tailshaft play gear play bah bah bah i dont mind rebuilding i think i can do that with a book just like to know if its easy to tell. thanks you guys you alll are the greatest Chris

does it have inspection plates you can pull to see how clean inside is? no metal or gunk may be a clue its in good shape.

Use the FSM and rebuild it, it has all the spec's for everything you need to check.

At a minimum, I'd pull it apart and give everything a good visual inspection. If possible I'd replace mainshaft bearings, synchro rings and do a small parts kit.

The rebuild is pretty simple. I just rebuilt mine and followed the FSM. Just make sure you get a pair of snap ring pliers and you will be good. A press would make some things easier too.
any questions you can pm me or post on here im sure a bunch of people have done it and would be more than happy to help you through it.

thanks right now im having a hard time getting the rev gear shaft out :( i was ueing a c clamp but i cant get it to even move.

awesome! I've disassembled a few manual trans, they really need a little bit of grunt to get them apart after a long time and then it's a pain getting them back together! good luck with it though!

-
Back