How do you remove the back seat?

-

gandude

Reaction score
Hello,

The hydraulic top pump or plumbing or lifts are not working so I need to gain access. Sounds dumb but I can't figure out how the rear seat comes out of a 1963 Valiant. Are they bolted in somewhere?

Thanks in advance for the info.

-Glen

Push back on the bottom seat then lift up. Do a search about floor pans and look where the back seat goes and look at the slots in the metal bracket on the floor pan where the seat frame hooks.

Over the years the seat back will sag downward, just gravity at work. If you cant get the seat bottom to move rearward enough to unlatch try lifting the seat back as much as possible.

I got the seat out a bit and found these...

Are they a big deal?

plates_zpsa3e4be6f.jpg

don't forget to look under the seat bottom tucked into the springs is probably your original build sheet....mine was but it is a 1973.....not sure if they were doing that in 1963 or not ???

Removed the seat, both bottom and back. The back part was screwed in at the junction where the two meet, one screw far right and one far left.

An unwelcome guest was found, he made a nest with seat material. Perhaps Mr mouse needed something to sharpen his teeth with as the pump has oil all around it.

I found the build sheet between the seat cushion and springs but how do you get it out and what is it good for? Forgive my ignorance. The good news is no rust.

Attachments

• Broadcast Sheet resized.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 304
  • Pump.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 292
  • full seat.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 302
No rust is a big plus! Have someone help you carefully remove the build sheet if you want to see what your car had when it was built.

Removed the seat, both bottom and back. The back part was screwed in at the junction where the two meet, one screw far right and one far left.

An unwelcome guest was found, he made a nest with seat material. Perhaps Mr mouse needed something to sharpen his teeth with as the pump has oil all around it.

I found the build sheet between the seat cushion and springs but how do you get it out and what is it good for? Forgive my ignorance. The good news is no rust.

Yes, best way is to hold the springs up with both hands and have another friend carefully pull out the build sheet without tearing it....It has all the info of the options from when the car left the factory....Which can be very helpful when doing a restoration because over the years and many owners things get repainted, changed, mutilated, etc. etc... and you are not sure what it originally had in it....Well the build sheet has all the original info on it.....consider it a jackpot! Put it in a laminate folder paper and keep it with your documents for the car....

Since I cant give you guys a thank you yet, you have to accept this one.

Thanks!

They say I need 10 more posts to click 'thanks'.

-
Back