How do you straighten a bumper?

-

Coyote Jack

Member #55, I'm old
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I found an old derelect duster in a field. There isn't much left of it but I can scavenge a few small parts. The rear bumper is perfect except when somebody was getting the rearend out of the car they set it up on blocks and the lower lip of the bumper is now twisted. Is there a good way to straighten the thing out without huting the chrome?

Jack

I put them in press just like the bumper guys do. This works really good

I worked the dents and dings out of mine with some body hammers and a dead blow hammer. I did most of the work from the inside of the bumper and any thing out side I used a block of wood. The only thing that got screwed up was the end setting on the ground, the chrome got a few scratches in it but since im sending it off for re chrome i guess it dose not matter

I know a guy that repairs bumpers for the local dealerships. He takes them off and lays them on a big piece of carpet. Then he takes a BFH and blocks of wood and metal and just starts beating out the dents from the back.

Without seeing it, I dont know for sure, but I've fixed a lot of twisted bumper's with a pogo stick. It's a autobody tool

111276_lg.jpg

I thought this might be an old thread.

Jack, I'll bet you won't be able to find anything up there, even the field, until the snow melts around August or September. :-D Tim

Wow, we really dredged this thread up from the past.

Yes Tim, the snow is still deep and it's snowing again right now.

Jack

so in 5 years did you get it straight. seems long enough for even a foam hammer

That was a newbie mistake I forgot I was that far back in the archives won't happen agian

That's really no big deal, penncook, as there are always new people joining the site. It is a good thing for people to do searches here to learn whether their questions have been answered already in previous posts. However, it really is okay to resurrect old posts to ask for more detailed answers.

That tool works awesome,I have a home made one that works wonders,without damaging the chrome!!
Without seeing it, I dont know for sure, but I've fixed a lot of twisted bumper's with a pogo stick. It's a autobody tool

-
Back