How do you take trim off the front and back glass need HELP!!!

-

chavezychavez

Reaction score
Guys,
parting out my cars 72 demon and 76 duster and getting ready to remove all the glass how do you take the trim off the front windshield and back window without messing the trim up? Any pictures how to do it or special tools I need to buy?
Thanks Matt

there is a cheap trim tool you can get at any parts store that is a curved hook/prybar type thing. just slide it under the edge of the trim where the clip is and pop it up. not too hard. start wherever the trim peices go together. to get the glass out, just cut the outer rubber lip that holds the glass in under the trim. cut it back to the edge of the glass and the glass should pop out pretty easily

Where in ok are you located? might be interested in parts. heading to tulsa for turkey day.

Pull the center rubber out then get inside the vehicle and push around the edges. I did several of mine this way and never broke glass

you need one of these.
it releases the moulding from the clip.
this one is for gm/ford. auto parts should have the right one, or an auto glass shop.

Attachments

• 71095a.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 214
after the trim is removed and you pull the round rubber out use soap and water to help ease the glass from the rubber seal

you need one of these.
it releases the moulding from the clip.
this one is for gm/ford. auto parts should have the right one, or an auto glass shop.

Using that tool, you don't actually need to pull up and out at all. Slide it under the chrome trim until you come across a clip. Then just tug on the clip like you're pulling it straight across the windshield. It should pop the chrome trim off of it without having to pull up and possibly bend the trim. Some of them will come off very easily and others will take a bunch of force. Just go at the tough ones at every angle so you can pop the trim off with as little force as possible.

The tool pictured is the one you want, just get the point under the clip and turn, the clip will release the trim and then move to the next clip. DON"T pry it up, there is a small tab that holds the trim and the more you pry up the tighter the tab holds the trim. The clips will probably break if they are the original ones, most are rusted and are already thin to begin with.

I would start with the trim along the bottom of the window, those clips are usually already rusted and will break easily, this way you can get a good look at the clips to see how they work before you do the rest of them.

One other thing, when working on a car you want to save, run some tape along the edge of the tool to keep from scratching the paint around the window, this is paint you don't see but it will still cause rust where you don't see it.

trim sucks, just take your time and be paitent I have bent many full pieces just easy as she goes

You selling at the swap meet this weekend? I will be there on saturday.

Jaws,
Sent you a PM I will be at the swap meet.

Guys,
thanks for all the advice on the trim will do as I am told to remove this stuff.
Matt

-
Back